First-year Reading Groups
First-year JD students have an exciting opportunity to enroll in faculty-led reading groups. The groups, of no more than 12 students, will meet four or five times over the course of the academic year to discuss readings, films, or other materials related to a topic of special interest to the faculty convener.
The reading groups will be ungraded and highly informal. Refreshments may be provided, and some meetings may take place in faculty members’ homes. The idea is to provide small groups of students the opportunity to get to know a professor and each other, in the context of discussing interesting topics that will range well beyond the 1L curriculum.
Participation is entirely optional, but we think this is an opportunity that will enrich the first-year experience and that most students will want to take advantage of.
Please take a look at the 1L Reading Group descriptions to determine which groups might interest you:
[NOTE: You can see descriptions of all the reading groups under both links, but the fall and spring meeting times are specifically listed for the designated semester.]
Please note that 1L Reading Groups were scheduled so that they will not conflict with your classes. Also note that you will not be permitted to register for a 1L Reading Group with a faculty member that is teaching one of your assigned 1L courses.
- The site will be available August 22 at 1:30pm through August 28 at 9:30am.
- Log in using your netID (your initials and a series of numbers – ex. xyz123) and related password. This would be the same information you use to log in to Albert/ NYU Home.
- Click on “Registration” on the left sidebar.
- The list of 1L Reading Groups and a text box to list your ranking will appear.
- The results of the 1L Reading Group registration process will be posted to Albert on August 29 by 4:00pm.
This is a simple ranking system. Please indicate your first, second, third, etc. choices. You can rank as many as 10 reading groups, and we encourage you to number all the way to 10 to avoid the risk of getting shut out entirely. Ranking fewer groups will not increase the odds of getting into your highest choices.
Remember that you will not be permitted to register for a group led by a faculty member who is teaching one of your assigned 1L courses. You know who your fall and spring semester professors will be. You should not rank groups that either your fall or spring semester faculty lead.
We will honor your preference to the extent possible, while maintaining classes of no more than 12 students. The results of the 1L Reading Group registration process will be posted on August 30 by 4:00pm. Please check your schedule in Albert.
If you obtain a seat in your preferred 1L Reading Group, please be sure to check NYU Classes to see if there are any announcements from your Professor.
Upper Level Reading Groups
Upper-level JD and LLM students have an exciting opportunity this year to enroll in reading groups led by our JSD students. The groups, of no more than 12 students, will meet four times during the spring semester to discuss readings or other materials related to a topic of special interest to the JSD convener(s).
The idea is to provide small groups of students the opportunity to get to know each other, in the context of discussing interesting topics that range well beyond the Law School curriculum. Participation is, of course, entirely optional. Group meetings will primarily take place at the Law School. The name of the reading group along with a grade of "CR" (credit) in this ZERO credit class will appear on the transcripts of those who participate in a group and attend its meetings.
Reading Group descriptions are included in the Spring 2020 online class schedule at the class titles “Upper-Level Reading Group.”
- The site will be available January 10 at 1:30 p.m through January 24 at 9:30 am.
- Log in using your netID and password – the same information you use to log in to Albert/ NYU Home.
- Click on “Registration” on the left sidebar. The list of Upper-Level Reading Groups and a text box in which to list your choices will appear. Please indicate your first, second, third, etc. choices. You can rank as many groups as you wish. We will honor your preference to the extent possible, while limiting groups to no more than 12 students.
- Registration results will be posted to your schedule in Albert.