Loan Repayment Assistance Programs can be life-changing, giving you the freedom to pursue a career in public service after law school. Not all law school LRAP programs are the same, however. Here are a few key questions to ask when comparing LRAPs:
1. Does the LRAP cover all sorts of jobs or only a few types?
NYU Law's LRAP Plus (for the Class of 2019 forward) covers one of the widest ranges of employment of any LRAP, including full-time jobs in federal, tribal, state, and local government and nonprofit organizations, as well as judicial clerkships, jobs in legal academia, some self-employment, and for-profit organizations serving the public interest.
2. How much can I earn and have my payments fully covered by the LRAP?
At some schools, LRAPs are intended to benefit low earners the most. When you earn beyond a relatively low threshold, the program begins to cost you more. That's not the case with NYU Law's LRAP Plus income-driven plan. You can earn as much as $100,000 and pay no monthly amount.
3. Does the Law School offer a choice of LRAP plans or is it a one-size fits all approach?
NYU Law's LRAP Plus offers two options, an income-driven plan and a traditional 10-year LRAP. See How LRAP Plus Works.
4. I have other, non-law school debt. Will that be covered by the LRAP?
Not all LRAPs cover non-law educational debt. NYU Law's LRAP Plus covers up to $30,000 of original principal (on top of a $10,000 allowance for bar loans).
5. I have children. Does the LRAP offer any allowances for my dependents?
At NYU Law, LRAP Plus includes a new dependent allowance of $10,000 per eligible dependent.
6. Can I defer the LRAP if I need to?
If you have a life event and need to step away from LRAP for a period, you want to be sure you can do so. At NYU Law, you can defer for up to two years to start a family, pursue education, or deal with unforeseen hardship.
7. Must I apply for the LRAP right after graduation or can I do it at a later time?
Some LRAPs have strict rules of when graduates can apply. With NYU Law's LRAP Plus, graduates can apply at any time.
Please Note: LRAP Plus is for the Class of 2019 forward. Our prior LRAP is for the Class of 2018 and earlier. (The Classes of 2019-21 may choose either plan.)