Who We Are
The Center for Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging seeks to do paradigm-shifting work at a critical time in history, in which rapid demographic changes are reshaping national and global communities. Responding to the unique challenges and opportunities of this moment, the Center aims to advance interdisciplinary scholarship on diversity, inclusion, and belonging; support the NYU Law community as it strives to live up to those values; and share expertise with the broader world through targeted engagement with external institutions.
Although it originated in civil rights law, the field of diversity and inclusion has in recent decades moved into other disciplines. The Center seeks to revive the field's legal roots, and the Law School provides a natural home for that aspiration. As one of the first law schools to admit women, to implement a nondiscrimination policy on the basis of sexual orientation, and to function as part of a global network university, NYU Law has long been a leader on matters of diversity and inclusion. The Center builds on these proud traditions.
The desire to belong and to be fully included in society is a universal human trait. The Center aims to maximize the potential of every individual to flourish, with a particular focus on those who, historically and in the present day, have been impeded in their quest for belonging.
The Center offers an annual speaker series featuring leaders from academia and the public and private sectors on a range of topics relating to diversity and inclusion.
Speakers for the 2021-22 academic year are:
- Justice Sonia Sotomayor, Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court. [October 13, 2021] Watch the recording.
- Jennifer Richeson, Yale social psychologist and expert on political and psychological dynamics of increasing racial and ethnic diversity. [November 11, 2021] Watch the recording.
- Katy Milkman, Wharton professor and author of How to Change: The Science of Getting from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be (2021). [February 15, 2022]. RSVP for the event!
- Nancy Leong, University of Denver law professor and author of Identity Capitalists: The Powerful Insiders Who Exploit Diversity to Maintain Inequality (2021). [April 5, 2022]
Our 2021-22 speaker series is generously sponsored by:
- Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
- Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP
- Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
- DLA Piper
- Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson
- Latham & Watkins LLP
- Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP
- Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
- Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz
- Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
- White & Case LLP
Learn more about the Center's speaker series.