Founded: 1835 in New York City
Dean: Trevor Morrison
Academic Year Calendar: Semester
Degree Programs Offered: JD, LLM, JSD
Student to Faculty Ratio: 8.2 to 1
Centers and Institutes: 30+
Student-run Publications: 10
Student Organizations: 80+
JD Student Body*
1,380 full-time day students (no part-time or evening)
- 29 percent students of color
- 53 percent women
- 9 percent citizens of foreign countries
Fall 2020 Entering JD Class Profile
- 425 full-time day students (no part-time or evening)
- 75th percentile: 172
- 50th percentile: 170
25th percentile: 167
- 75th percentile: 3.90
- 50th percentile: 3.82
- 25th percentile: 3.65
- 35 states and Washington, DC, represented
- 40 percent students of color
- 67 percent out of college at least one year
- 11 percent out of college five years or more
- 8 percent hold advanced or professional degrees
*JD student body figures are accurate as of October 2018.
Public Interest Funding
The Law School's Loan Repayment Assistance Program eases the burden of debt repayment obligations for those choosing careers in public service. More than 500 JD graduates in public service now have their debt burden paid in full or in part by NYU Law.
In summer 2020, 396 students received Public Interest summer funding grants.
Median overall salary of the Class of 2019: $190,000
For more information, see Employment Data for Recent Graduates.