Founded: 1835 in New York City
Dean: Trevor Morrison
Academic Year Calendar: Semester
Degree Programs Offered: JD, LLM, JSD
Student to Faculty Ratio: 8.2 to 1
Centers and Institutes: 30+
Student-run Publications: 10
Student Organizations: 80+
JD Student Body*
1,380 full-time day students (no part-time or evening)
- 29 percent students of color
- 53 percent women
- 9 percent citizens of foreign countries
Fall 2019 Entering JD Class Profile**
- 425 full-time day students (no part-time or evening)
- 75th percentile: 172
- 50th percentile: 170
25th percentile: 167
- 75th percentile: 3.9
- 50th percentile: 3.8
- 25th percentile: 3.6
- 39 states and Washington, DC, represented
- 38 percent students of color
- 77 percent out of college at least one year
- 13 percent out of college five years or more
- 7.2 percent hold advanced or professional degrees
*JD student body figures are accurate as of October 2018.
**Fall 2019 entering class figures are accurate as of July 2019.
Public Interest Funding
The Law School's Loan Repayment Assistance Program, which eases the burden of debt repayment obligations for those choosing careers in public service, awarded $4.3 million to more than 500 graduates worldwide in 2017-18.
In summer 2019, more than 400 students received Public Interest summer funding grants to work in the US and 17 other countries.
Median overall salary of the Class of 2018: $190,000
For more information, see Employment Data for Recent Graduates.