The School of Law and the Stern School of Business at New York University offer a dual degree program whereby a student may simultaneously pursue study leading to both the degree of Juris Doctor (JD) and the degree of Master of Business Administration (MBA). Through careful course planning, the dual degree student can complete both degrees in four years. Five years of study are normally required when each degree is pursued independently.
The combined program offers insight into the business and legal sides of commerce. The program provides an excellent background for careers in law and/or business and is intended to broaden career perspectives. For example, graduates of the program can use the dual degree training in law firms, corporate counsel offices, investment and accounting firms, or nonprofit agencies and government institutions.
The first two years of the program are spent at NYU School of Law, the third year is spent at NYU Stern School of Business and the fourth is divided between the two schools.
Applicants may apply directly to the dual degree JD/MBA program, or may apply to Stern in either their first or second year of their law school studies at NYU. Students must be admitted separately to both schools in order to participate in the dual degree program.
The NYU School of Law and NYU Stern have coordinated their procedures and created a single application process designed to simplify applying to the JD/MBA program.
Applicants who wish to apply directly to the dual degree JD/MBA program should follow the procedures outlined below:
- Submit the School of Law application, including two letters of recommendation, resume and a personal statement, by February 15 (The School of Law applications will be available September 1)
- Register for the Credential Assembly Service (CAS) and take the Law School Admission Test (LSAT)
- Complete the required NYU Stern JD/MBA Supplemental Application Forms including one additional letter of recommendation, by February 15 (The NYU Stern JD/MBA Supplemental Application Form will be available in September)
- Send the completed NYU Stern JD/MBA Application Supplemental Forms to:
NYU School of Law
Office of Admissions
139 MacDougal Street, Suite C-20
New York, NY 10012
ATTN: JD/MBA Program
Phone: (if required for mailing) (212) 998-6060
Note: The application deadline for applicants who wish to apply for any of the Law School's Scholarship and Academic Scholars Programs is January 1st. All applicants to NYU Stern are considered for merit-based scholarships, and all NYU School of Law applicants are considered for merit and need-based scholarships.
Students who apply to Stern during their law school studies at NYU should do the following:
- Complete and submit the required NYU Stern JD/MBA Supplemental Application Forms by February 15 (The NYU Stern JD/MBA Supplemental Application Form will be available in September)
- Submit the completed NYU Stern JD/MBA Supplemental Application Forms to:
NYU School of Law
Office of Academic Services
Furman Hall, 4th Floor
ATTN: JD/MBA Program
The Office of Academic Services will forward your documents to Stern.
- Sign and submit a release form that requests that the NYU School of Law Records and Registration release and send your file and current law school transcript to the NYU Stern Office of MBA Admissions.
While there is only one JD/MBA application, each school has a separate Admissions Committee and admissions process. You may be admitted to both programs, only one program, or neither program in this admissions process. Dual degree applicants will be considered for admission based on the same standards as the rest of the applicant pool.
For more information regarding the Jacobson JD/MBA Program, please visit the Jacobson Leadership Program in Law and Business.