April 19–20, 2018
Facultad de Derecho de la Universidad de Buenos Aires
Av. Figueroa Alcorta 2263 (corner of Av. Pueyrredón), Salón Rojo, Ground Floor
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Organized and sponsored by NYU School of Law (NYU Law) and Universidad de Buenos Aires (UBA) Law School.
The Conference is held in English and Spanish with simultaneous interpreting.
Thursday, April 19, 2018
9:45-10:00 Opening of the Conference
10:00-11:00 Keynote Speech
- Ricardo Lorenzetti, President of the Supreme Court of Argentina and Law Professor (UBA)
11:00-13:00 Perspectives from the Global South
CHAIR: Marcelo López Alfonsín (UBA)
- Martina Chidiak (UBA): "Argentina's Contribution to the Paris Agreement Seen from a Sustainable Development Perspective"
- Stéphanie de Moerloose (University Austral, Université de Genève): "The New World Bank Environmental and Social Conditionality: Between Universality and Resistance"
- Valeria Berros (Universidad Nacional del Litoral): "The Andes's Ecological Perspectives and its Circulation in the Global Regulatory Sphere: Creativity and Tensions"
15:15-17:00 Climate Change and Energy
CHAIR: Martín Farrell (UBA, Universidad de San Andrés)
- Pilar Moraga (Universidad de Chile)
- Ana Nusdeo (Universidade de São Paulo): "Climate Policy and Energy, Between Regulation and Markets"
- Nicolás Eliaschev (Universidad de San Andrés, UBA): "Renewables in Argentina, from Alternative to Mainstream, a Review of Recent Policies and Regulations"
- María Eugenia Di Paola (UBA): "Challenges in Climate and Energy in Argentina's National Determined Contributions"
17:00-18:30 Climate Change and Change of Government: New Politics of President Trump
- Richard Revesz, Lawrence King Professor of Law, Dean Emeritus, Director of Institute for Policy Integrity (NYU Law)
Friday, April 20, 2018
10:00-11:00 Keynote Speech
- Eduardo Macchiavelli, Minister of Environment and Public Space of the Government of the City of Buenos Aires
11:00-13:00 Cities and Climate Change
CHAIR: Silvia Nonna (UBA)
- Katrina Wyman, Sarah Herring Sorin Professor of Law and Director of Environmental and Energy Law LLM Program (NYU Law): "Climate Adaption in New York City"
- Vicki Been, Boxer Family Professor of Law and Faculty Director of Furman Center for Real Estate and Urban Policy (NYU Law): "The Difficulty of Retreating from Harm’s Way, or Adapting to Flood Risk, in Cities"
- Juan B. Filgueira Risso, President of the Environmental Protection Agency of the City of Buenos Aires
- Claudio Lutzky (UBA): "Climate Change as an Agent of the Pre-eminence of the City in the Global Society"
- Gabriel Lanfranchi (CIPPEC): "Enhancing Climate Resilience Through Urban Infrastructure and Metropolitan Governance"
15:00-16:30 Environmental Law and Fundamental Rights
CHAIR: Carlos Rosenkrantz, Member of the Supreme Court of Argentina, and Professor (UBA, Universidad de San Andrés)
- Florencia Saulino (Universidad de San Andrés, NYU Law in Buenos Aires): "Environmental Rights. Problems of Ownership"
- Leila Devia (UBA): "Environment, Health and Human Rights. Towards a Global Pact For the Environment."
16:30 Closing of the Conference