At NYU Law and NYU broadly, there are resources to support transgender, nonbinary, and gender non-conforming students. The LGBTQ+ Center maintains a Trans@NYU webpage, which consolidates relevant policies, educational resources, and guides, including a list of all-gender restrooms on campus.
Healthcare and Mental Health Resources
NYU health insurance for all community members has provisions for gender-affirming healthcare, including hormone therapy, surgeries, and therapy.
- The student health insurance, Wellfleet, has a dedicated staff member who works with trans and gender nonconforming individuals. You can request to speak with them when calling Wellfleet.
- The Student Health Center maintains a Gender and Sexuality Team, an interdisciplinary group of providers.
- Steinhardt’s Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic has a monthly Gender Affirming Voice and Communication support group.
- NYU Law’s OUTLaw student group hosts specific programming for trans, nonbinary, and gender non-confirming community members, including TGNC and QTPOC socials. OUTLaw also funds an annual Trans Rights & Representation Scholarship, granted to a 1L or 2L dedicated to furthering the rights and/or representation of trans people of color in the legal field.
- The LGBTQ+ Center at NYU hosts T Party, a biweekly group for trans, nonbinary, and gender non-conforming individuals.
Name Changes and Pronouns
All students are able to indicate a preferred name that is different from their legal name and add their pronouns in Albert, which will be given to professors on class rosters. These changes can be made at any time.
If a student has legally changed their name and needs to update it in the NYU system, please contact the Assistant Director of Diversity and Inclusion at email@example.com, who can assist with navigating the multiple systems and servers.
Typically, NYU IT does not change students’ netIDs even after a legal name change due to the challenge of updating it across all systems. However, if a student feels they need their netID changed, contact the Diversity and Inclusion team and we will assist with your case.
Additionally, the Identity Documents Project is a student group that may be able to assist with navigating name changes and document procurement while in New York.
All-Gender Restrooms at the Law School
NYU Law has all-gender restrooms in each of its academic buildings.
- Multi-stall all-gender restrooms are available on the first and second floors.
- A single-stall all-gender restroom is available on the sixth floor.
- Multi-stall all-gender restrooms are available on the second floor.
- Single-stall all-gender restrooms are available on the first floor outside of Greenberg Lounge, on the third floor, and in the basement of the library.
- In Wilf Hall, an all-gender restroom is located on the C level.