In 2019-2020, Columbia Law and NYU School of Law will allow a limited number of students to take courses at each other's schools. Students are permitted to register for only one course at the other school during their academic career.
Both Columbia Law and NYU School of Law students must use the online application form to apply.
Each semester, there will be a preliminary deadline to submit a request. Requests received by that date will be considered first, with JD 3L and LLM students having priority. Applications from 2L students will be considered pending room in the program. Please note that this program is only open to the following NYU students: JD 2Ls, JD 3Ls and Full-time LLMs. The law school's policy does not permit JD visiting students, NYU Exchange students or part-time LLMs to participate in this program.
Please review the available fall 2019 courses at Columbia Law School (PDF: 78 KB) and the available fall 2019 courses at NYU School of Law (PDF: 22 KB) as well as the course descriptions and schedules, before completing your request. Note: When considering which course(s) to apply for, please take into account travel time between NYU and CLS.
The deadline to apply to take a course at Columbia is mid- to late August for the fall semester and mid-January for the spring semester. Students are permitted to take one course at the other school during their academic career. Only those courses approved by each institution will be available for cross-registration; absolutely no exceptions will be entertained. Please note these credits will count towards the minimum requirements for full-time status.
Fall 2019 Application Timing and Deadlines
|August 19 (Monday) at 12:00 noon||Application period begins|
|August 21 (Wednesday) at 5:00 pm||Deadline to submit online application|
|August 23 (Friday) by 5:00 pm||Notification sent to accepted students|
|August 23 (Friday)||Late applications accepted pending available space|
|August 28 (Wednesday)*||First day of classes at NYU School of Law|
|September 3 (Tuesday)||First day of classes at Columbia Law School|
|September 4 (Wednesday)||Last day to add an NYU exchange course|
|September 9 (Monday)||Last day to add a Columbia exchange course|
* Please note that for Columbia students, after the first month of the semester, permission to drop a course will be granted only for compelling and unusual personal circumstances.
Please note the following:
- Columbia Law School's academic calendar may be different from NYU School of Law's. Please review the start and end dates of the semester and the exam period.
- It is your responsibility to be informed about classroom and exam policies and procedures at the visiting school. If you have questions, contact the Office of Academic Services.
- Once you are registered, you will be given instructions on how to activate your email account at the visiting school. Your course instructor and the visiting school administration will contact you at this email address.
- You must show your home school ID at the visiting school to attend class, use the law library, take exams, or enter computer labs. Other services may not be available to visiting students.
- NOTE: All NYU School of Law Exams require the use of a computer. Please see our Exam Information and Schedules web page for further details.
- Columbia Law School will distribute examination numbers to students at the exam room. NYU School of Law will email students the instructions on how to obtain their examination number. Students must bring their number to the exam.
- Upon completion of the course, you must order a transcript from the visiting school to be sent to the Office of Academic Services at your home school. The course will appear as transfer credit and no title will be listed. The credit hours will be recorded on your home school transcript.