Exchange Programs

University of Amsterdam (Amsterdam, The Netherlands)

Fast Facts

  • Semester: Fall or Spring
  • Housing: University housing available
  • Language of Instruction: English

About the Program

As one of Europe’s most prominent research institutions, the University of Amsterdam has a strong history of comprehensive, student-driven education, fostering broad global perspectives and a solid foundation of knowledge based in inquiry. The University of Amsterdam Law School is one of the Netherlands’ oldest and largest, and emphasizes both international perspectives and interdisciplinary study across its curriculum.

Up to four NYU Law students may study each year at ALS. The program is open to second and third year students who have completed at least one year at NYU Law. All courses are conducted in English.

The University of Amsterdam enjoys a prime location in the city center. It is one of the leading research universities in Europe, and a multidisciplinary approach toward education is utilized by faculty and students alike. The University offers a wide variety of degree programs, and its addition of English-language Master’s programs has helped to increase its international stature.

Founded originally in 1632, the University of Amsterdam has transformed over the years from a small non-accredited program into the large, diverse and well-known institution that it is today. There are now over 30,000 students and seven distinct faculties that comprise the university, and its high endowment has enabled the University to further improve its research facilities and international cooperation efforts. More information is available on the University’s website.

The Faculty of Law, housed in the Oudemanhuispoort buildings, focuses particularly on European and global law. More information is available here.

With some 3,500 students and 350 staff members, The Faculty of Law of the University of Amsterdam is one of the largest faculties in the Netherlands. It favors an interdisciplinary approach, collaborating with other law schools in the Netherlands and incorporating the study of law with such diverse fields as economics, psychology, sociology and health care.

The faculty maintains strong ties with the corporate world and many staff members are also legal practitioners. Social engagement is another characteristic of both staff and students, who frequently offer their services to various law clinics.

One of Europe’s most unique destinations, Amsterdam’s identity as one of the few remaining canal cities has had a major impact on how the city has developed its character. Residents of Amsterdam are some of Europe’s greenest, and the city’s environmentally-friendly, laid-back attitude has helped to make it one of the most visited places in the world.



Both fall and spring study abroad options are available. UvA’s academic year is divided into two, 21-week semesters. These semesters are further divided into three blocks. Full academic calendars can be found here. The following is an approximation of the academic calendar:

End of August Orientation
September to October Block 1: 7 weeks instruction, 1 week exams
End of October to mid-December Block 2: 7 weeks instruction, 1 week exams
January Block 3: 3 weeks instruction, 1 week exams
February to March Block 1: 7 weeks instruction, 1 week exams
April to May Block 2: 7 weeks instruction, 1 week exams
June Block 3: 3 weeks instruction, 1 week exams
Mid-June Return from Amsterdam

The UvA academic year may conflict with the academic year at New York University School of Law. Students affected by such a conflict may need to take UvA exams at an earlier date than those listed in the normal academic schedule. These students should contact exchange program coordinator to schedule exams on alternative dates.


Courses and Credit

Students are required to enroll in a minimum of 30 ECTS courses per semester, totaling 12 credits.

A sampling of the exchange courses topics offered in English is below:

  • European Private Law
  • International Criminal Law
  • International and European Labor Law
  • International and European Law
    • Public International Law
    • International Trade & Investment Law
    • European Union Law
    • European Union Business Law

The full course listing is available online at here. You can search by course or by program. In order to ensure compliance with all ABA regulations, NYU School of Law requires that all courses be approved by our office before your schedule has been finalized.

Students without a background in European Union Law need to take the introductory course in European Union Law. This course is offered twice a year (September and February). Students without a background in International Law need to take the introductory course in International Law, offered in September only.

NYU Law exchange students will receive credit for courses taken at the University of Amsterdam. However, these courses will not count towards the student's GPA. They will only appear on NYU transcripts as credits earned through the exchange program, rather than as individual courses at the University of Amsterdam.


Tuition and Living Expenses

Because this is a revenue-neutral exchange program, participating NYU Law students will pay New York University the normal tuition for a 12 credit-hour semester at NYU Law.

During your stay in Amsterdam, you can expect to spend between €850 and €1,300 per month on living expenses. A rough estimate of living costs is as follows:

  • Accommodation: €375 - 600 per month
  • Living expenses: €400 - 500 per month
  • Insurance: €45 per month
  • Books: €75 per month
  • Public transport: €70 – 100 per month

The cost of everyday goods and services in Amsterdam is generally lower than in New York. If you plan to do any traveling around the country or Europe while in Amsterdam, you will want to budget for those expenses as well.



The University of Amsterdam does not have a campus, and housing for international students is accommodated by housing associations on the basis of an agreement with the University. Please note that accommodation cannot be guaranteed. As soon as you are accepted to the Amsterdam Exchange program you will receive instruction on how to apply for housing. However, you should be aware that the lease for a student room is for the entire semester, which runs through January. You would be responsible for rent even though you will not be staying for the entire duration of the lease. More information about university housing, as well as private rental, is available here.


Passport, Visa and Residence Permit Requirements

Depending on your nationality, you may need a visa to enter the Netherlands. The visa application procedures can take up to five months. Students from the United States do not need a visa to enter the Netherlands. More information can be found on UvA’s website.

Immigration Services
For students needing a residence permit and/or visa, the UvA offers immigration services for student residency. The resident permit and visa procedures will start around four months before the beginning of each semester. Through the use of an online application form, the UvA will be able to help you with these procedures. Access to this online system is granted after having been admitted as a student to the UvA.

Practical Matters

  • The approximate cost of a study visa and/or residence permit is €625. This fee is non-refundable.
  • While the UvA helps with residency formalities, your legal residency remains your own responsibility.
  • The procedure can take several months.
  • During student residency, you may work a maximum of 10 hours a week and you will need a work permit.
  • For more information, see

You can also find detailed information on visa regulations on the website of Nuffic (Netherlands Organization for Cooperation in Higher Education).

Residence Permit
Since you will be staying in the Netherlands for more than three months, you must apply for a residence permit. Please contact your local Dutch embassy if you have any doubts about which papers you need to bring, or which items are legal or illegal to import into the Netherlands.

For your residence permit you will need:

  • A valid passport
  • One passport photograph according to Dutch standards*
  • Proof that you have health and liability insurance coverage
  • Proof of your ability to finance your study

*The Netherlands has very strict rules about the format and requirements for passport photos. Please visit the Netherlands Consulate General in New York for more details.

Financial Proof of Sufficient Funds
To get a residence permit, the Dutch Immigration and Naturalization Department (IND) needs you to prove that you have sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay in the Netherlands. The amount needed applies to the number of months you will be enrolled, not the number of months you will be staying in the Netherlands. (E.g. a one-year program has 12 months.) The amount determined by the IND of your monthly estimated costs is € 850 per month.

Financial proof can be provided in the following ways:

  • Own financial means: A copy of a bank statement of a bank account held jointly or solely in your name, showing the balance and your full name
  • A scholarship: The document confirming the scholarship has been granted; if you are the recipient of an Amsterdam Merit Scholarship, your admissions officer will take care of this.
  • If the study is funded by someone living outside the Netherlands, you will need to provide an original statement (not a copy) from your sponsor, in which he/she declares the amount of money that will be transferred to your personal bank account on a monthly basis during your stay in the Netherlands
  • A copy of your sponsor's passport
  • Proof that your sponsor is in a financial position to transfer the promised amount of money to your personal bank account, for example a recent bank statement and/or account specification showing the balance on your sponsor's account


Access for Persons with Disabilities

Approximately 6% of UvA students suffer from a disability or a chronic disease, including physical impairments, repetitive strain injury, asthma or diabetes, learning disabilities such as dyslexia, or a mental impairment. If your disability or illness causes you problems when studying, attending classes, or finding accommodation, then contact your student adviser or a student counselor as soon as possible. You may do so even before enrollment at the UvA.

Be sure to approach your study program’s student adviser for tips. You can, moreover, see the international student counselors with questions about tangible and intangible support, and the student psychologists with problems of a psychological nature. With study-related health issues, such as RSI and stress, you can also consult the university doctors.

A range of practical aids are available, such as speech software and large screen computers. However, additional academic counseling and adjustments to the study program and exams may be considered as well.

Students with a disability can in some cases acquire priority for accommodation. Students can contact Ms C. Flüggen, student counselor for disability matters at

If you are interested in the program and will need some special assistance due to a disability, please speak with the Office of Global Programs who will contact UvA to obtain information about the availability of needed services.