Providing free, confidential advice and representation to NYU students and employees in their immigration cases
- Who is providing these services?
- The NYU Immigrant Defense Initiative (NYU-IDI) is a project of NYU School of Law's Immigrant Rights Clinic, under Washington Square Legal Services, Inc.
Who does NYU-IDI serve?
NYU students, at all schools and graduate levels
NYU employees (including faculty, staff, and contracted employees),
and the immediate family members of the above
- What types of legal services does NYU-IDI offer?
- Legal consultations on general immigration questions (not including employment-based issues)
- Direct representation before immigration agencies, immigration court, Board of Immigration Appeals, and federal court
- Areas include: Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), Temporary Protected Status (TPS), asylum, legal permanent residence, citizenship, employment authorization renewals, immigration court representation, NACARA, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS), T visa, U visa, Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)
- Legal support and advice for those who are affected by recent policy changes or decisions, such as the travel ban
- Legal support and advice for those who may be at risk of deportation based on immigration violations, contact with the criminal legal system, or other concerns
- Organizing and hosting informational know-your-rights presentations across NYU
- Advocacy with NYU departments, such as financial aid, housing and student groups
- Travel monitoring for those traveling outside of the U.S.
- NYU-IDI DOES NOT provide consultations or representation for employment visa related applications. However, NYU-IDI can screen for other immigration relief.
- How does it work?
- After booking an appointment, initial screenings will be conducted by the NYU-IDI Staff Attorney, Frances Dávila. Following the screening, cases may be taken on for direct representation by NYU-IDI or referred to outside non-profit organizations, pro bono attorneys or private attorneys.
- How can I contact the NYU Immigrant Defense Initiative to set up a screening appointment?
- Please email email@example.com or call (212) 998-6435 to set up a screening. If you have an urgent matter, like an upcoming hearing or court date, please email and indicate this in your email. The NYU-IDI office is located at 383 Lafayette Rm. 414, New York, NY 10003. NO WALK-INS.
- I will be traveling outside of the US, but I'm afraid I may have issues entering the US Can NYU-IDI assist me?
- NYU community members traveling internationally may sign-up to have their trip monitored by NYU-IDI. We will confirm your return to the U.S. and will provide legal support if you encounter issues at the port of entry. Sign-up to have your trip monitored.
The NYU-IDI Team: