Providing free, confidential advice and representation to NYU students and employees in their immigration cases
- Who is providing these services?
- The NYU Immigrant Defense Initiative (NYU-IDI) is a project of NYU School of Law's Immigrant Rights Clinic, under Washington Square Legal Services, Inc.
Who does NYU-IDI serve?
NYU students, at all schools and graduate levels
NYU employees (including faculty, staff, and contracted employees),
and the immediate family members of the above
- What types of legal services does NYU-IDI offer?
- Legal consultations on general immigration questions (not including employment-based issues)
- Direct representation before immigration agencies, immigration court, Board of Immigration Appeals, and federal court
- Areas include: Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), Temporary Protected Status (TPS), asylum, F1 reinstatement, adjustment of status, consular processing, naturalization, citizenship, employment authorization, family-based petitions, NACARA, removal proceedings, habeas corpus, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS), T visas, U visas, Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) petitions
- Legal support and advice for those who are affected by recent policy changes or decisions, such as the travel ban
- Legal support and advice for those who may be at risk of deportation based on immigration violations, contact with the criminal legal system, or other concerns
- Organizing and hosting informational know-your-rights presentations across NYU
- Advocacy with NYU departments, such as financial aid, housing and student groups
- Travel monitoring for those travellng outside of the U.S.
- IDI DOES NOT provide consultations or representation for employment visa related applications. However, IDI can screen for other immigration relief.
- How does it work?
- After booking an appointment, initial screenings will be conducted by the NYU-IDI Staff Attorney, Frances Dávila. Following the screening, cases may be taken on for direct representation by NYU-IDI or referred to outside non-profit organizations, pro bono attorneys or private attorneys.
- How can I contact the NYU Immigrant Defense Initiative to set up a screening appointment?
- Please email email@example.com or call (212) 998-6640 to set up a screening. If you have an urgent matter, like an upcoming hearing or court date, please email and indicate this in your email. The IDI office is located at 383 Lafayette Rm. 414, New York, NY 10003. NO WALK-INS.
- I will be traveling outside of the US, but I'm afraid I may have issues entering the US Can NYU-IDI assist me?
- NYU community members traveling internationally may sign-up to have their trip monitored by NYU-IDI. We will confirm your return to the U.S. and will provide legal support if you encounter issues at the port of entry. Sign-up to have your trip monitored.
The NYU-IDI Team: