An Overview of the NYU Law Venture Fund
Join us in hearing testimonials from members of the NYU Law community around their experience with the Fund, and its impact on their careers:
StartUp Stories: The Venture Fund Library
Among NYU Law's alumni are many successful entrepreneurs. Here, several share their stories and offer advice to those interested in pivoting to a career in business.
- Paul Appelbaum '98 co-founded GrubHub Seamless and is now an independent consultant focusing on early stage investing and advising, primarily in the intersection of food and tech.
- Alexandra Fung '08 is the CEO and co-founder of Upparent, a community-curated website with kids activities and parenting tips.
- Bob Gold '84 is the senior managing director of Ridgewood Energy Corporation, an energy-focused private equity firm, and CEO of Ridgewood Capital Corporation, a manager of venture capital funds focused on investments in technology companies.
- Nick Goss '13 is the COO and co-founder of Parallel Markets, a portable identity for accredited investors that can be used across platforms.
- Riley Jones '20 is co-founder and CEO of Sector (formerly Bloc), a digital job search accelerator for emerging talent.
- Brandon Nelson '99 is general counsel and corporate secretary of JetBlue; he joined when the airline was just five years old.
- D.K. Smith '16 is CEO and president of DK Smith and Co., an operations strategy consulting firm.
- Jake Yormak '13 is a partner and co-founder of Story Ventures, a capital fund that focuses on tech innovations.
The Pivot to Business
Nick Goss '13 and Jake Yormak '13 on founding Parallel Markets and Story Ventures, respectively
Alexandra Fung '08 on her transition from immigration lawyer to Upparent CEO and co-founder
Riley Jones' 20 on starting a business in college and growing it in law school
Bob Gold '84 on his journey from political science major to Ridgewood Capital
Why Legal Training Helps
D.K. Smith '16 on how lawyers have an advantage—being able to argue effectively and efficiently
Paul Appelbaum '98 on how legal training prepares you to make a solid business plan
Watch: Alexandra Fung '08 on how a lawyer's analytical skills complement entrepreneurial vision
Brandon Nelson '99 on how issue spotting and other skills honed in legal training contribute to success
Nick Goss '13 and Jake Yormak '13 on how law school teaches you to read contracts and question everything
Advice & Inspiration
Brandon Nelson '99 on focusing your mission and believing in it
Bob Gold '84 on finding a scalable idea
Paul Appelbaum '98 on knowing your clients and their needs
Riley Jones '20 on the value of grace under pressure
D.K. Smith '16 on overcoming analysis paralysis