It’s been an exciting few months! Take a short break from your studying to learn what we did this semester – and what you can do next semester!
Our Finest Hour(s)
- NYU President John Sexton recognized ILS with a 2007 President’s Service Award for our “extraordinary and positive impact on the University community.”
- Our day-long symposium ,The United Nations and Three Challenges of the 21st Century: Peace and Security, the Promotion of Human Rights, and the Reduction of Poverty, began with a keynote address by UN Under-Secretary-General Dr. Shashi Tharoor. Dr. Tharoor’s remarks were followed by panel discussions in which leading voices in international law—including professors, diplomats, and UN officials—vigorously debated the future of the United Nations. Two hundred people attended.
- Our first annual International Food Festival entertained and fed several hundred revellers thanks to the extraordinary efforts of our culinarily-inclined classmates. The event was so popular that we ran out of food – twice!
- We sponsored over half-a-dozen weekly language tables, including one in English.
- We continued the ILS tradition of organizing well-attended career panels, and we met with Mariano Banos from the State Department’s Office of the Legal Adviser.
- We hosted a delegation from Toronto ’s Osgoode Hall Law School .
- We travelled to the United Nations, the Museum of Modern Art, and the spring conference of the International Law Students Association in Washington, D.C.
- We arranged law firm visits, library training for international research, attendance at project finance presentations, parties, and numerous other events.
- We worked closely with Jennie Dorn, Professor Joseph Weiler, and Professor Kevin Davis. We are grateful for all the help they continue to give us.
- We continued our collaboration with the Vice Dean’s Office, the Office of Career Services, the Public Interest Law Center , the Office of Student Affairs, the Hauser Global Law School , Law Students for Human Rights, Canadian Content, and the Asia Law Society, among other groups on and off campus.
- We grew our mailing list (email@example.com ) to over 1400 subscribers and our world map in VH 110 to over 400 pins.
- After receiving an overwhelming number of applications for the 2007-08 board, we selected an outstanding group of 19 committed J.D. students, who will work closely with LL.M. students. See all of them at our 2007-08 Board page.
- We started planning for another exciting year. Join us and find out why!
From the 2006-07 board of the International Law Society, thank you for an incredible year!