International Law Society Fall 2008 Semester Report
- Together with our friends from the Asia Law Society (ALS), we hosted two social mixers, one for incoming J.D. students and the other for both J.D. students and L.L.M. students, giving them an opportunity to network with internationally practicing lawyers.
- Our private practice chair scheduled a panel discussion with students who interned abroad in international practice.
- Our public practice chair organized with PILC a panel on practicing public international law. At "Lawyering for International Organizations,” three speakers discussed their career paths and the opportunities and challenges they have been exposed to at their respective institutions. ILS would like to thank Larry Johnson, former Assistant Secretary General for Legal Affairs at the United Nations, Peri Johnson, the Director of the new Legal Support Office in the Bureau of Management at the UNDP and Vikram Raghavan, senior counsel in the World Bank's Legal Vice-Presidency.
- The Journal of International Law and Politics and the Institute for International Law and Justice presented “The Normalizing of Adjudication in Complex International Governance Regimes: Patterns, Possibilities, and Problems." The event was co-sponsored by the International Law Society and the Deutsches Haus at NYU.
- We also co-hosted with PILC as part of their public interest speaker series a presentation by Spencer P. Boyer. Mr. Boyer is the Director of International Law and Policy at the Center for American Progress, a Washington D.C. based liberal think-tank.
- We continued to host language tables for students who wish to learn or practice foreign languages.