Founded: 1835 in New York City
Dean: Trevor Morrison
Academic Year Calendar: Semester
Degree Programs Offered: JD, LLM, JSD
Student to Faculty Ratio: 8.2 to 1
Centers and Institutes: 30+
Student-run Publications: 10
Student Organizations: 80+
JD Student Body
- JD students: 1,369
- JD degrees awarded in 2016: 485
- Male/female ratio: 49%/51%
- Students of color: 30%
- International: 8%
Fall 2016 Entering JD Class Profile
- 431 full-time day students (no part-time or evening)
- LSAT 75th%/50th%/25th%: 171/169/166
- Undergraduate GPA 75th%/50th%/25th%: 3.9/3.8/3.7
- 41 states represented
- 32% students of color
- 72% out of college at least one year
- 12% out of college five or more years
- 7% hold advanced or professional degrees
Costs, Financial Aid and Scholarships
- Tuition and fees (2015-16): $59,330
- Living expenses (2015-16): $26,634
- Median scholarship or grant award (2014-15): $20,000*
- Percentage of students receiving grants (2013-14): 36.0%
*Scholarship recipients are required to maintain satisfactory academic progress in order to retain their scholarships. The Law School’s current scholarship retention rate is 100%.
Public Interest Funding
Loan Repayment Assistance Program for students pursuing careers in public service: Nearly 20% of 2014 graduates joined LRAP, bringing the total number of participants to more than 500. The program will disburse nearly $5 million in benefits in 2015.
Public Interest summer funding grants: 1Ls receive $4,500 and 2Ls receive $6,500. In summer 2015, 407 students received grants to work in the US and 22 other countries.
During 2014-15, 661 private law firms, public interest organizations, government agencies, corporations, and public accounting firms visited NYU School of Law to interview students. The interviewers came from 31 states and four foreign countries; 62% were from outside New York.
Median overall salary of the Class of 2014: $160,000
For more information, see Employment Data for Recent Graduates.
Bar Pass Rate
More than 75% of JD graduates take the New York State Bar Exam. The bar pass rate on this exam for 2014 was 95.74%.