Founded: 1835 in New York City
Dean: Trevor Morrison
Academic Year Calendar: Semester
Degree Programs Offered: J.D, LL.M., J.S.D.
J.D. Application Early Decision Deadline: November 15
J.D. Scholarships and Academic Scholars Program Deadline: January 1
J.D. Application Regular Decision Deadline: February 15
Student to Faculty Ratio: 8.9 to 1
Centers and Institutes: 29
Student-run Publications: 10
Student Organizations: 81
J.D. Student Body
- J.D. students: 1,418
- J.D. degrees awarded in 2013: 537
- Male/female ratio: 56%/44%
- Students of color: 28%
- International: 5%
Fall 2013 Entering J.D. Class Profile
- 437 full-time day students (no part-time or evening)
- LSAT 75th%/25th%: 172/168
- Undergraduate GPA 75th%/25th%: 3.85/3.57
- 39 states represented
- 33% students of color
- 72% out of college at least one year
- 12% out of college five or more years
- 9% hold advanced or professional degrees
Costs, Financial Aid and Scholarships
- Tuition and fees (2013-14): $53,200
- Room and board (2013-14): $22,396
- Average scholarship or grant award (2012-13): $25,717*
- Percentage of students receiving grants (2012-13): 32.6%
*Scholarship recipients are required to maintain satisfactory academic progress in order to retain their scholarships. The Law School’s current scholarship retention rate is 100%.
Public Interest Funding
Loan Repayment Assistance Program for students pursuing careers in public service: Approximatly 18% of 2012 graduates joined LRAP, bringing the total number of participants to nearly 500 receiving almost $5 million in benefits.
Public Interest summer funding grants: 1Ls receive $4,500 and 2Ls receive $6,500. In summer 2013, 313 1Ls and 98 2Ls and LL.M. students received grants to work in the U.S. and 24 other countries.
During 2012-2013, 600 private law firms, public interest organizations, government agencies, corporations, and public accounting firms visited NYU School of Law to interview students. The interviewers came from 29 states and seven foreign countries; 71% were from outside New York.
Median overall salary of the Class of 2012: $160,000
For more information, see Employment Data for Recent Graduates.
Bar Pass Rate
More than 75 % of J.D. graduates take the New York State Bar Exam. The bar pass rate on this exam for 2012 was 94.82%.