All students, whether in the J.D. or Graduate Division, enrolled in or registered for any course at New York University School of Law are required to have, for exams and other purposes, a laptop that meets the following requirements. Every student is required to type his or her exams on a laptop or desktop computer, and handwriting will not be permitted on exams. In-class exams require the use of a laptop. Take-home exams can be completed with a laptop or desktop computer. Students may not use a tablet or e-reader for their exams.
- 4 GB of memory (RAM)
- 120 GB hard drive capacity (minimum ... larger capacity recommended if you store media (i.e. photos, music, videos))
- Wireless card with 802.11 a, g, or n capability
* Some newer laptop models do not come equipped with Ethernet cards. Ethernet connectivity is only necessary as an alternative to the wireless for students living on the NYU School of Law campus.
** Microsoft Surface is not supported for exams.
For ALL laptops, you must have a licensed copy of the operating system. We reserve the right to refuse service to laptops with non-licensed or unactivated copies of the operating system. Dual-booted systems are not supported for exams (e.g. Windows via Boot Camp on a Mac).
Students are required to have a basic set of software on their laptops in order to fully take advantage of technology provided by NYU Law.
- Symantec Endpoint Protection (provided free through the University) or other up-to-date antivirus software. More information about ensuring your security on the 'nyu' network as well as instructions for setting up anti-virus can be found here.
- Office productivity software, such as MS Office, Pages, or LibreOffice
- PDF reading software (e.g. Adobe Reader)
Supported Operating Systems
When Microsoft and Apple release new versions of their operating systems, the exam software vendors must certify that the new operating system will work with the exam software. Since this is one of the focal points of computing at NYU Law, you must have a computer that meets the operating system requirement. If you are looking at upgrading your operating system, or purchasing a new laptop, pay careful attention to these requirements, and the computer/operating system you are purchasing.
- Windows Vista with Service Pack 2, Windows 7 with Service Pack 1, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1*
- OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard, 10.7 Lion, 10.8 Mountain Lion, or 10.9 Mavericks
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite is not supported for Fall 2014 exams. Please DO NOT upgrade your Mac laptop to this new version prior to the end of Fall 2014 exams.
* ELLM Students who are planning to examine remotely must use a laptop with a Windows OS. Dual-booting your laptop is expressly forbidden (e.g. using Boot Camp on a Mac to run Windows)