All students, whether in the JD or Graduate Division, enrolled in or registered for any course at New York University School of Law are required to have, for exams and other purposes, a laptop that meets the following requirements. Every student is required to type his or her exams on a laptop or desktop computer; handwriting will not be permitted on exams. In-class exams require the use of a laptop. Take-home exams can be completed with a laptop or desktop computer. Students may not use a tablet or e-reader for their exams.
It is necessary to have administrator privileges on your laptop. Without administrator privileges the exam software will not operate.
- 4 GB of memory (RAM)
- 120 GB storage (hard drive capacity)
- Wireless card with 802.11 a, g, n or ac capability
* Some newer laptop models do not come equipped with Ethernet cards. Ethernet connectivity is only necessary as an alternative to the wireless for students living on the NYU School of Law campus.
**Some devices, such as wireless printers, older Kindles, Amazon Fire Stick, Google Chromecast, etc. do not support the WPA2 Enterprise authentication used on NYU’s wireless and thus will not work at this time.
For ALL laptops, you must have a licensed copy of the operating system. We reserve the right to refuse service to laptops with non-licensed or unactivated copies of the operating system. Dual-booted systems are not supported for exams (e.g. Windows via Boot Camp on a Mac).
Students are required to have a basic set of software on their laptops in order to fully take advantage of technology provided by NYU Law.
- Symantec Endpoint Protection (provided free through the University) or other up-to-date antivirus software. More information about ensuring your security on the 'nyu' network as well as instructions for setting up anti-virus can be found here.
- Office productivity software, such as Microsoft Office, Apple Pages, or LibreOffice
- PDF reading software (e.g. Adobe Reader)
Supported Operating Systems
When Microsoft and Apple release new versions of their operating systems, the exam software vendors must certify that the new operating system will work with the exam software. Since this is one of the focal points of computing at NYU Law, you must have a computer that meets the operating system requirement. If you are looking at upgrading your operating system, or purchasing a new laptop, pay careful attention to these requirements, and the computer/operating system you are purchasing. Operating systems newer or older than what is listed below are not supported and will not work with our exam software.
- Windows 7 with Service Pack 1, Windows 8/8.1, and Windows 10
- OSX 10.9 Mavericks, 10.10 Yosemite, and 10.11 El Capitan
*** Please do NOT install any OS version not explicitly listed above. This includes beta/preview versions and new releases. If it is not listed above it is not supported and will not allow the exam software to operate.