JD Admissions

Third-Year Visiting/Non-Matriculant (JD) Application Questions

How do I request an application?
Apply online using our electronic application. The online application for fall 2016 will be available May 1. The online application for spring 2017 Nonmatriculant admission will be available in September.

How many credits are required to apply as a Third-Year Visiting/Non-Matriculant candidate?
A candidate must have completed two full years (approximately 55 credits) and need no more than 30 additional credits to complete requirements for graduation at other ABA approved law schools.

What are the deadlines for Third-Year Visiting/Non-Matriculant admission?
For fall admission, Third-Year Visiting/Non-Matriculated candidates must file their applications by July 1 and complete their applications with supporting documentation by July 15. Decisions will be mailed by mid-August. For spring admission, Third-Year Visiting/Non-Matriculant candidates must file their applications by November 1 and complete their applications with supporting documentation by November 15. Decisions will be mailed by late November.

Do you offer application fee waivers?
The Law School does not waive application fees for this program.

Do you require my LSAT score to be reported from the Law School Admissions Council's Credential Assembly Service?
We do not require applicants to submit an LSAT score for Third-Year Visiting/Non-Matriculant admission.

I only need a few courses to complete my degree - can I enroll on a part time basis?
Third-Year Visiting/Non-Matriculant students must enroll on a full time basis.

I have to complete specific course requirements for my home school in order to meet graduation requirements. Am I assured of getting into the courses I need?
We cannot assure visiting students that they will get into specific courses such as Evidence or Corporations. We can assure your registration for a full course load for the semester, but you may have to adjust your course selections. Visiting students register for courses after all other upperclass students.

Do you require a dean's certification from my home law school?
Yes, and you will need to obtain written permission from your home law school to enroll at NYU School of Law.

Do you require certification from my undergraduate institution?

How many recommendations do I need to submit?
Applicants are not required to submit a recommendation, but may do so if they wish.

How long should my personal statement be?
Applicants should submit a one-page personal statement on their reasons for spending their third year at NYU School of Law.

When can I expect to receive a decision on my application?
Candidates can expect to receive decisions by early to mid August. A complete application includes the application form, an application fee, a law school transcript with all grades from all previous semesters of law school, a law school certification and a personal statement.

Am I eligible to apply for or participate in financial aid, housing, Law Review/Journals and Early Interview Week?
Third-Year Visiting/Nonmatriculant students are not eligible for scholarships or need-based grants, Law Review/Journals, or Early Interview Week. Nonmatriculant applicants who are offered admission to NYU School of Law are eligible to apply for on-campus housing.

I have previously applied to NYU School of Law's JD program. May I use my previous application materials in my Transfer/Non-Matriculant application?
No. If you applied to NYU School of Law previously, you may not use previous application materials.