We aim to schedule a variety of educational and networking events to appeal to our membership and the NYU Law community. Please see below for the complete calendar of events for the upcoming semester. Join the IPELS listserv through NYU Home or our Facebook group (see the link on our 'Contact Us' page) for updates and invitations.
Breaking into the Law: Hacking and the Rise of Cyberwarfare
April 2nd in Vanderbilt Hall Room 206 from 6:30PM to 8:00PM, with reception to follow.
Please join the Internet and Information Law Committee for a panel on "Breaking into the Law: Hacking and the Rise of Cyberwarfare".
This panel will focus on the legal and ethical ambiguities surrounding the prosecution of hacking. Panelists, moderated by Professor Katherine Strandburg, will discuss the Aaron Swartz case, Wikileaks, and the rise of cyberwarfare.
Shane McGee, general counsel of cybersecurity firm Mandiant, which recently released the report detailing the source of China’s cyberattacks on U.S. companies and media. McGee, a former programmer, also practiced in the areas of data privacy and security law at large firms.
Eric Friedberg, co-president of security firm Stroz Friedberg, which specializes in digital risk management and investigations. Friedberg was formerly an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of New York, where he prosecuted computer crimes and telecommunications fraud, as well as serving as Senior Litigation Counsel and Chief of Narcotics. He was also an associate at Skadden, Arps.
Alex Muentz, hacker and lawyer. He currently works for Picciotti & Schoenberg, an information security law firm in Philadelphia where he advises clients, performs audits and pen-tests. Muentz has spoken at DEFCON, the world’s longest running and largest underground hacking conference.
David Moon, program director for Demand Progress, the progressive policy organization founded by Aaron Swartz. Moon is a Washington-based attorney and political consultant.
A reception will follow.
Sports Law Roundtable Discussion
April 3rd in Vanderbilt Hall Greenberg Lounge from 2:00PM to 5:00PM
Join the Sports Law Committee and NYU's Professor Robert Boland, for a lively and informative discussion on issues of labor relations in the field of sports law.
Panelists will include:
Russ Granik, former NBA Deputy Commissioner
Charles Grantham, former Executive Director of NBA Players Association
Jon Wertheim, Sr. Writer for Sports Illustrated
Adam Lupion '01, Senior Counsel, Proskauer Rose
Allen Shapard, Senior VP, IMG Worldwide, Inc
Following the discussion will be a presentation by keynote speaker, Michael Weiner, Executive Director of the Major League Baseball Players Association.
- Maximizing Exposure of the Largest Events in the World: Legal Issues in Broadcasting the Olympics
- Patent Law in Practice: A panel with practicing patent attorneys about patent law and the America Invents Act
- Evaluating Risk When Managing and Investing in Startups: Co-hosted with NYU Law & Business Association and JD/MBA Association
- The Future of Information Privacy and Social Media: A conversation with representatives from leading social media companies and the ACLU
- For the Love of the Game? A Professional Look at Collegiate Sports: Panel discussion
- The Google Library Project: Authors, the Internet and Intellectual Property
- Net Neutrality: The Law and Economics of Regulation
- An Artist Who Practices Art Law: Lunch with Sérgio Muñoz Saramiento
- Who Owns Your Genes? A discussion of the AMP/Myriad case
- Refashioning IP Law – The Future of Protection for Fashion Design
- Culture Wars Redux: Did The Smithsonian Censor David Wojnarowicz?