Providing free, confidential advice and representation to NYU community members at risk of deportation
- Who is providing these services?
The NYU Immigrant Defense Initiative (NYU-IDI) is a project of NYU Law School’s Immigrant Rights Clinic, under Washington Square Legal Services, Inc., in partnership with Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr LLP (“WilmerHale”).
- Whom does this Initiative serve?
The NYU-IDI serves NYU students, staff (including contracted staff) and their immediate relatives in the U.S. (at any school or department) who have immigration related concerns. This may include individuals:
- with DACA or TPS
- who are otherwise undocumented (with or without pending immigration applications or cases)
- who are in removal proceedings or have removal orders
- who are affected by recent policy changes or decisions like the travel ban
- who have immigration status but may be at risk of deportation based on possible immigration violations, contact with the criminal legal system, or other concerns
- who have questions or need assistance with family based immigration or naturalization matters
- How does it work?
Initial screenings will be conducted by the NYU-IDI Staff Attorney, Cristina Velez. Following initial screenings, cases suitable for pro bono representation will be referred to WilmerHale for possible representation and advocacy. Additional cases may be taken on for direct representation by NYU-IDI or referred to outside non-profit organizations or private attorneys.
- I am an NYU community member in need of immigration advice or representation. How can I contact the NYU Immigrant Defense Initiative to set up a screening appointment?
Please contact us at (212) 998-6640 or email us at email@example.com to set up a screening. If you have an urgent matter, like an upcoming hearing or court date, please indicate this in your voicemail or email.
For up to date immigration related news and alerts affecting the NYU community follow us on:
CLICK HERE to learn more about the status of undocumented students at NYU
CLICK HERE to learn more about the effects of the recent Executive Orders (travel ban) on the NYU community
For general questions or to schedule a free and confidential screening, please email us or leave us a voicemail at:
212-998-6640 / firstname.lastname@example.org
383 Lafayette Street, Room 414 / New York, NY 10003