In 2018, the State Impact Center expanded its fellowship program to assist state attorneys general that have requested additional support specifically on clean energy matters. After another nationwide process in which all attorneys general were invited to apply, three states (Maryland, Delaware and Massachusetts) were selected to participate in the clean energy fellowship program.
Fellowship positions in these three states are currently available. Prospective clean energy law fellows may begin the application process by sending a cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicating their state of interest. The State Impact Center will share applications with the appropriate state(s) and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Defend environmental values and advance legal and policy positions to promote clean energy at the regional and national level.
- Subject to the specific scope of assigned duties by the relevant state attorney general, perform highly advanced legal work, which might include conducting in-depth analysis and preparation of legal memoranda; interpreting laws and regulations; providing legal advice; and assisting in preparing legal notices, briefs, comment letters, and other associated litigation and regulatory documents.
- Perform other duties as assigned, with the expectation that the majority of time spent will be on clean energy issues.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Applicants must be duly licensed, authorized, and eligible to practice as an attorney under the laws of a state or the District of Columbia. Active bar membership is required.
- Five to 10 years of experience in clean energy with preference for relevant experience in legal or policy issues of regional or national importance, such as those matters that cross jurisdictional boundaries or raise legal questions or conflicts that have nationwide applicability.
- Litigation and/or regulatory experience, with preference for experience working in state or federal government.
- Ability to work with partner organizations and to help build coalitions.
- Excellent writing, editing, research, and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work well and with enthusiasm within a team in a fast-paced environment.