Make sure to take the practice exam in advance of your first in-class exam! This will give you the opportunity to answer any questions about Exam4 or resolve any technical issues you may encounter. There are several important features in Exam4 to familiarize yourself with, including Document Statistics, and Multiple Choice. Before taking your practice exam, print out these instructions as you will not have access to the website once the exam starts.
NOTE: ITS will NOT be able to retrieve practice exam answers for your review. Do not use the practice exam template to submit answers to a real practice exam.
- Open Exam4. If you have not taken the Practice Exam, you will be prompted to do so. If you are continuing from the Download/Install, you should be at this prompt. * Mac users, Exam4 will not open automatically.
- After you have read the instructions on the Exam4 welcome page, click "OK".
- Make sure "Prepare to start new exam" is selected and click "Next".
- Enter your Exam ID into the two Exam ID fields (twice for accuracy) and type your NYU NetID into the protected info field. (Protected info is for administrative purposes only and your professor will not see this information.)
- IMPORTANT: You must use your correct Exam ID for both the Practice Exam and any actual exam. If you do not use your correct Exam ID for the Practice Exam, your Practice Exam will not be correlated to you, and you will not be considered compliant.
- Scroll down to choose "Practice Exam Finals" (again, twice for accuracy) from both Course lists and click "Next". For midterm and early final exams please choose "Practice Exam Midterm".
- The Font size and color preferences are optional settings you can define. Click "Next".
- Read the Notice of instructions. After you get it, check the "Got it?" checkbox. Click "Next".
- Type "CLOSED" into the Exam Mode field. Check the box to confirm your exam is CLOSED and click "Next".
- The last screen will have you verify the information you have entered. Although the software instructs you to "Wait!", click on the "Begin Exam" button. During your actual in-class exam you will still click on the "Begin Exam" button despite the "Wait!" instructions and open your exam file. Your proctor will instruct you when to start typing your exam answers.
- Your exam will open. The first line of text will say "Answer-to-Question - _1_". You can start typing directly underneath it.
- You will have the ability to show or hide Document Statistics. The document stats will track the number of words, lines, characters and characters with spaces. These statistics will only differentiate between questions if you have an answer separator in between your answers. If you do not have separators between your answers, your word count will be for the entire exam.
- For Multiple Choice questions, go to the “Multiple Choice” item on the menu bar. There are two ways you can navigate between the questions. You can use the arrow buttons on the left to scroll up and down through the questions or you can click directly on the question in the list on the left.
To learn more about Exam4, look at our Features and FAQ pages on the navigation area to the left.
- End your exam by clicking on the "End Exam" menu at the top of your screen and select "End Exam Now". You will be prompted to confirm your selection. Check the "Confirm" checkbox and click on "OK, end exam".
- A "File and Save Options" window will display. Click on the "Submit Electronically" button. Your exam will submit electronically and an information pop-up window will display explaining that your file has been stored on the server. Click "OK".
- An "Exam submittal" window will display the status of your submission. A receipt for the exam will automatically be saved on your computer. Check the "I understand" checkbox and click "OK".
- Close the "Submit Exam Electronically" window.
- Go to the "File and Save Options" menu and select "Exit".
- If you are sure you want to exit, check the "I'm sure" checkbox and click on the "End/Exit Exam4" button.
Troubleshooting Tip: If you are having issues connecting to the wireless, please give your laptop a minute or two to reconnect. If that doesn’t work, please restart your laptop and reconnect to the wireless network (you will have to re-launch Exam4 and “Select an existing exam” to upload your exam if you reboot).