The wireless network at NYU Law is part of NYU's campus-wide network. Most modern mobile devices can connect and authenticate to the 'nyu' network. Prerequisites:
- An active NYUHome account with according privileges (e.g. full or part-time student status, full-time employee)
- A wireless network card in their laptop that is 802.11(a, g, or n) compatible and that uses WPA or WPA2 Enterprise security.
Troubleshooting your connection to the 'nyu' network
For help with the initial wireless configuration, please see the NYU's wireless configuration website
Here are a few common solutions if you are having difficulties connecting to 'nyu'
- Have you activated your NYU account? If not, please head to start.nyu.edu and complete the registration process (it can take between 2-4 hours after registering or changing an NYUHome password to successful authenticate to 'nyu').
- Have you recently changed your NYUHome credentials? If so, you will need to enter your current password to connect.
- The majority of wireless issues can be resolved by removing 'nyu' as a known network and adding it again with the proper configuration. To do so:
- Right click the wireless icon in the system tray and select "Open Network and Sharing Center"
- In this window, select "Manage Wireless Networks"
- Find 'nyu' on the list of known networks, right click on it and select remove network
- Navigate to NYU's wireless configuration website to follow the Windows 7 setup steps
If after this process you continually get prompted for your 'nyu' credentials, please follow these steps.
- Navigate back to "Manage Wireless Networks."
- Right click on 'nyu' but this time select "properties"
- Navigate to the "Security" tab and select"Advanced settings"
- Under "Specify authentication mode:" change the drop down menu to "User authentication" and select save credentials
- Enter your current NYUHome credentials in here and hit "OK"
- In the desktop interface, left click on the wireless icon in the system tray
- 'nyu' will be listed in the sidebar. Right click on 'nyu' and select forget network
- Restart the PC and navigate back to where you were. Double click on 'nyu', reenter your current NYUHome credentials and press connect when you see the message "Windows can't verify the server's identity"*
*While there are not any formal directions provided from the main university to connect to 'nyu' on Windows 8 at this time, the Law School ITS Helpdesk has found that Windows 8 will automatically configure the 'nyu' connection.
- Click the Airport wireless symbol in the upper right hand corner of the screen and select "Turn AirPort Off"
- In Spotlight (the magnifying glass in the upper right corner of your screen)type the word "keychain," and hit enter. This will open up the OSX Keychain
- Click on "WPA: nyu" and "rad.nyu.edu" (There may be two or three of these) and press delete. This may require you to type in your Mac's local password
- Click the Airport symbol again, but this time select "Open Network Preferences…"
- Click the advanced button, navigate to "Preferred Networks," find 'nyu' and click the minus sign to remove it. If they are listed under Preferred Networks, repeat for 'nyuguest', 'NYU-ROAM3', and 'nyupda'
- Last, but not least, click the 802.1x tab, and remove any WPA: nyu entries listed (there may be several or there may be none depending on what version of OSX you have) by selecting the item to remove and clicking the minus sign
- Refer back to NYU's wireless configuration website to reconfigure the connection to 'nyu'