NYU Law has transitioned to NYUClasses from Blackboard. NYU has been using NYUClasses since Fall 2012. Blackboard retired on August 15, 2013.
NYU Classes is a Learning Management System (LMS) built on the Sakai CLE (Collaborative Learning Environment) platform. Some of the many benefits are improved performance, workflow, and a contemporary user interface making coursework easier to manage by instructors, and easier to navigate by students.
How to access NYU Classes:
- From NYUHome, click on the NYU Classes link found on the Academics tab.
How to activate your course in NYU Classes:
- From the “My Workspace” section in NYU Classes, click “Setup Course Sites”. You should see any courses which you are enrolled as ‘Instructor’ or ‘Course Site Admin’. Here’s a brief video that walks you through this process. Remember that after setting up your course sites, you must click the "Publish Now" link in the upper left-hand corner in order to make them available to your students.
- If you will have course recordings, make sure to click on the Panopto link to activate this service. See the Panopto instructions below for requesting course recordings.
- Courses are generally available for activation two weeks after registration opens for that semester. Refer to this NYU ServiceLink knowledgebase article for more details.
How to add a participant:
- Go to Settings > Add Participants
- Enter the NetID and Continue
- Assign the appropriate role and Continue
- Choose whether or not to send an email to inform the user and Continue
- Click Finish
How to find your Blackboard Content:
- NYU has automatically migrated Blackboard courses dating back to Summer 2011 into NYU Classes. If you need access to any older content, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. To get an overview of what content is migrated, and how to find it in NYU Classes, click here.
How to copy content from an older course to your new NYU Classes course:
From an existing NYU Classes course:
- Go to Settings > Import from Site.
- Select ‘Merge’ to copy material from another course into your new course shell, or ‘Replace’ to overwrite all material in the target course shell. Click ‘Continue’.
- Select the course you wish to copy material from, and click ‘Continue’
- Finally, select which material you wish to copy from the other course shell, and click ‘Finish’.
From a Blackboard Archive file (please email email@example.com to get an archive file for any course which was not migrated from Blackboard to NYU Classes)
- Use BFree to browse your BB archive and selectively choose material to post to your NYU Classes course.
- OR Go to Settings > Import from Archive File
- Click the ‘Choose File’ button and browse to your BB archive file
- Click the ‘Import’ button.
- After processing the archive, you will be able to select which material you want to copy into your NYU Classes shell. Do so, and click the ‘Copy Materials’ button.
- Panopto is a new lecture capture system that is integrated into NYUClasses.
- There is no longer a need to paste embed code into a course site each time a class is recorded.
- Class recordings are delivered automatically to their corresponding course sites within five hours of the recording end time.
With this streamlined process, all you need to do to request a class recording is activate your course site within NYUClasses, then submit a Jira ticket with the following information:
Time/Date of Class
Room Number of Class
Once a recording is completed and delivered to its course site, users can listen to it by clicking the Panopto link in the left-hand tool bar of their NYUClasses course.
Cross-listed Courses and Combining Existing Courses:
- Officially cross-listed courses will automatically show in NYUClasses.
- To combine multiple sections of a course, or merge any two courses you are teaching, you can add rosters to an existing course. When setting up course sites in NYU Classes you have the option of aggregating multiple sections within the same site, but you can always add or remove section rosters from a course site after it has been created. More information can be found here.
- Within NYU Classes, navigate to the desired course site, within which you would like to either add or remove rosters.
- Select Settings from the left tool menu.
- From there, select the option to Edit Class Roster(s).
- You will be presented with a list of the rosters currently active within your course. From here, you may add or remove rosters from your site.
- Select Add Roster(s).
- You will be presented with a list of other courses you are teaching for the current semester. Select one of the course options, click the checkbox for the roster that you would like to add to your course, and click Continue.
- On the confirmation page, click Finish
Note: If the desired roster is already associated with another course site, you must first remove it from the other site before you may add it to the desired site.
- Follow the same steps 1-4 above, select the Remove checkbox next to the roster that you would like to remove.
- Click Update.
Additional training material