If you are a faculty member and wish to RSVP for the All-University Commencement, the Law School Send-Off Reception, and/or the Law School Convocation, click this link. When you RSVP, you will also have the opportunity to submit academic attire orders. The deadline for faculty RSVPs is March 21, 2016.
Read on for faculty-specific information about graduation events.
Bronx, New York 10451
9:00 a.m. Departure from Washington Square
If you registered to attend, you MUST take the bus provided by the University. It is the only way to access the reserved entrance for faculty to enter the stadium.
11:00 a.m. Procession begins
For more information about Commencement, click here.
Vanderbilt Hall, 40 Washington Square South, and Furman Hall, 245 Sullivan Street
The Send-Off Reception is held for graduates and their guests. Faculty members are invited to join in celebrating the accomplishments of the Class of 2016. Enjoy live music and light refreshments.
2124 Broadway (Between West 74th and 75th Streets)
New York, NY 10023
9:30 a.m. Faculty arrive
2:30 p.m. Faculty arrive
Registering for Faculty Academic Attire
- First-time participants without their own attire: If this is your first time participating in Commencement and/or Convocation, be sure to include your measurements when you RSVP. Measurements you will need:
1. Robe - your height (wearing shoes)
2. Degree Hood - the highest degree earned (BA, MA, PhD, etc.)
3. College/University - where you earned your degree (NYU, Berkeley, Penn State, etc.)
- Returning faculty participants without their own attire: If you are a returning faculty member, you do not need to indicate your measurements when you RSVP, as we have them on file.
- If you have your own academic attire: If you have registered to attend Commencement and/or Convocation you MUST bring your academic attire to both ceremonies. If you have registered to attend Commencement, you must wear your attire before you board the bus to Yankee Stadium. If you have registered to attend the Law School Convocation and would like your attire available for pickup at the Beacon Theatre, please email email@example.com to make arrangements.
Retrieving Faculty Attire
- Attending Commencement: A representative from the Office of Student Affairs will contact you and your assistant. Please note that if you are also attending Convocation, you will receive special instructions about your academic attire.
- Attending Convocation: Your attire will be waiting for you at the Beacon Theatre.
Returning Faculty Attire
- Attending Commencement Only: During your attire delivery, you will be notified that you must return your attire to a representative at the Office of Student Affairs. There will be attire collection bins at Yankee Stadium, but please DO NOT return your attire there.
- Attending Commencement AND Convocation: You must hold onto your attire after Commencement (you will receive special instructions when your academic attire is delivered). After the Convocation ceremony, return your academic attire at the Beacon Theatre.
If you indicated on your RSVP form that you would like to participate in hooding students during the Hooding Ceremony, please read the information below. We will review the hooding procedures for you onsite, but the general process is as follows:
As in the past, once the reader announces student A’s name, the student will walk away from the reader to a faculty hooder. When student A reaches the hooder, the reader will then say the name of student B. If there is any traffic congestion, the stage manager, TBA, will signal the reader to pause. There are two faculty hooders at once to help manage the traffic flow. Please hood the students as efficiently as possible while minimizing adjustments to their attire afterward. The stage manager, TBA, will ensure that there is a steady stream of students to both faculty hooders. We will have booster platforms available for faculty members who are participating in the hooding of graduates.
We are thrilled to have you be an integral part of the most significant moment in the ceremony for our students.
If you were invited to join the Platform Party (onstage during the Convocation ceremonies), please read the below information.
Platform Party Arrival: Hotel Beacon NYC
JD Ceremony at 9:00 a.m.
LLM/JSD Ceremony at 2:00 p.m.
Processional Line-Up: JD Ceremony at 10:15 a.m.
LLM/JSD Ceremony at 3:15 p.m.
Ceremony Length: Approximate length of ceremonies
JD Ceremony: 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
LLM/JSD Ceremony: 3:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m.
Upon arrival at the Platform Party holding area, the Hotel Beacon NYC, an NYU staff member will greet you and give you directions for the processional. A light breakfast will be available.
Robing will take place in the nearby Hotel Beacon NYC. We have arranged to have the academic attire that was ordered for you pressed and delivered. It will be distributed to you when you arrive. Coat check will be provided so you can leave your belongings nearby during the ceremony. Please note that following the ceremony, you will be responsible for returning your academic attire.
The Law School photographer will be taking photographs of the platform party, special guests, trustees, donors, and students.
All members of the platform party must begin lining up at 10:15 a.m. for the JD Ceremony and 3:15 p.m. for the LLM/JSD Ceremony. An NYU staff member will escort you to the front of the Beacon Theatre, where you will wait until the student processional is completed before processing into the theatre.
There will be a formal recessional at the end of Convocation. Please plan on staying for the entire program and participating in the recessional. You will be cued by an NYU staff member to begin the recessional.
Faculty are invited to submit nominations for student Convocation Awards and Subject Area Awards (please click links for more information about each award category). The deadline to submit award nominations is March 4, 2016. Convocation Awards and Subject Awards are only given to graduating JD and LLM candidates.
Nominations for Convocation Awards should be submitted via this online form. Faculty interested in nominating a student for a subject award should refer to the complete award chart and contact the designated professor.