Public Interest Law Center

PILC Summer Funding Program

As the most ambitious such program in the nation, the PILC Summer Funding Program guarantees funding for all first- and second-year students who want to work in public interest and government positions. For students who want to be public interest lawyers, the summer provides an invaluable training opportunity; for students who choose to pursue careers in the private sector, spending their 1L summer in public service encourages the habit of pro bono work. 1L students receive $4,500 for the summer and 2Ls receive $6,500.

The Program provides all participants with education in the theory and practice of public interest law. Throughout the academic year, students attend their choice of at least four lectures in the Leaders in Public Interest Series. Additionally, the Public Interest Law Center holds two mandatory meetings in the fall that provide information about public interest career paths and job search strategies. In the spring there are workshops to prepare students to be a successful intern. Students are also expected to contribute to fundraising for the Program by working at the annual Public Service Auction. The remaining requirements include submitting forms to document the internship and facilitate the payment process. After the completion of the internship, each student submits an PILC Intern Report which documents the quality of their internship. These reports are valuable resources for subsequent classes of students in their job searches.

To review the PILC Intern Reports, click here.

Eligible students can find detailed program information and can apply for the PILC Summer Funding Program here.

Be sure to register in the Summer Funding online system if you wish to participate in the program, and please check your NYU e-mail address throughout the academic year and summer for any program updates.

New York University School of Law offers a modest summer rent discount to students living in Law School residences and working for public interest organizations, as judicial interns, or as research assistants for professors. Contact the Office of Residential Services for more information.