- Charters of Freedom
- Legislative Research
- Public Legislative Sites
- Regulatory Research
- Case Law Research
- White House
- Guide to the library's US Docs Depository
Comprehensive US Government Listings
- FirstGov: the Official Government Gateways for Citizens, Business and Government
- American Law Sources Online
US Federal and state law, commentary and other resources, as well as Canadian and Mexican law
- CQ Electronic Encyclopedia of American Government NYU Only
A source for information on US government, politics, and elections. Designed for use by students, political activists, government employees, and interested citizens, it contains over twelve hundred articles and more than six hundred illustrations. This expansive coverage illuminates the history, structure, dynamics, operation, and personalities of the three branches of US government and elections, and provides the who, what, where, when, and how of every era of American history—from the American Revolution to the present.
- CQ Insider - a mega-database for national, international, and state level contacts. More than 10,000 federal offices, regulatory agencies, congressional committees, international organizations, and state government contacts. NYU Only
- CQ Public Affairs Collection - a storehouse of public policy content organized by 22 key topics. Includes historic documents, primary source materials, statistical overviews, directory contact information and in-depth reporting on current affairs. NYU Only
- Federal Regional Yellow Book NYU Only
- Federal Yellow Book NYU Only
- Foreign Representatives Yellow Book NYU Only
- Government Affairs Yellow Book NYU Only
- Government Information on the Internet (Bernan) NYU Only
- Government Information Locator Service
- INFOMINE Government Resources
Government resources search engine maintained by the University of California.
- Judicial Yellow Book NYU Only
- Leadership Directories (Yellow Books) - click "Log In Here!" NYU Only
The 14 Yellow Books include: Congressional, Federal, State, Municipal, Federal Regional, Judicial, Corporate, Financial, News Media, Associations, Law Firms, Government Affairs, Foreign Representatives, Nonprofit Sector
- Meta-Index for US Legal Research
Collection of search engines for US Supreme Court Opinions and Syllabi, US Court of Appeals Opinions, US Code, federal bills and legislative history on Thomas, Congressional Record, Code of Federal Regulations, Directory of Legal Academia, West's Legal Directory, and other legal sources.
Maintained by the Federal Interagency Council on Statistical Policy to provide easy access to the full range of statistics and information produced by more than 100 agencies in the United States Federal Government for public use.
Charters of Freedom
- CQ Researcher NYU Only
The CQ Researcher explores a single "hot" issue in the news in depth each week. Topics range from social and teen issues to environment, health, education and science and technology. There are 44 reports produced each year including four expanded reports.
- CQ Weekly NYU Only
The CQ Weekly enables the researcher to follow the developments in Congress on a weekly basis. It includes the full text of all articles published in the paper version since 1983. A user may browse through articles in the current issue or search for past articles by words, dates, subjects or other criteria.
- Congressional (Lexis-Nexis) NYU Only
A comprehensive research tool for federal legislative material. Some of its components are listed below.
- Congressional Yellow Book NYU Only
- LexisNexis Historical Full-text (Serial Set) NYU Only
Full text of US Congressional Serial Set and American State Papers (1789-1969: database to be completed by Dec. 2005)
When connected, choose Advanced Search and select Serial Set
- United States Code, Public Laws, Statutes at Large (CIS) NYU Only
- Findlaw US Federal Law
- Legislative History (Lexis-Nexis CIS Index) NYU Only
Search by law number, bill number, statutes at large citation, keyword, committee, publication title, witness name or affiliation, document number.
- Bills (Lexis-Nexis) NYU Only
Search by keyword or sponsor, and bill number. This site has a "hot bills" section.
- House & Senate Journals, Series I, 1789-1817 NYU Only
- Senate Executive Journals, Series I, 1789-1866 NYU Only
- US Congressional Documents and Debates, 1774-1873
Includes: Journals of the Continental Congress, Elliot's Debates, Farrand's Records, Statutes at Large, US Serial Set, House Journal, Senate Journal, Senate Executive Journal, Maclay's Journal, Annals of Congress, Register of Debates, and Congressional Globe. Available in pdf format.
- Annals of Congress
Formally known as the Debates and Proceedings in the Congress of the United States, the Annals cover the First Congress through the first session of the Eighteenth Congress, from 1789 to 1824. Available in pdf format.
- Register of Debates
A record of the congressional debates of the 18th Congress, 2nd session through the 25th Congress, 1st session (1824-37). It is the second of the four series of publications containing the debates of Congress. It was preceded by the Annals of Congress and succeeded by the Congressional Globe. Available in pdf format.
- Congressional Globe
Commonly referred to as the Globe, contains the debates of Congress from the 23rd Congress, 1st Session through the 42nd Congress (1833-73). The Globe is the third of the four series of publications containing the debates of Congress. It was preceded by the Annals of Congress and the Register of Debates and succeeded by the Congressional Record. Available in pdf format.
- Congressional Publications (Lexis-Nexis CIS) NYU Only
Full-text of reports, documents, committee prints, bills, Congressional Record and congressional rules.
- Members of Congress (Lexis-Nexis CIS) NYU Only
- Congressional Committees (Lexis-Nexis CIS) NYU Only
- Selected CRS Reports
Congressional Research Service reports are not available in one location on the Internet. The link to the reports refers the reader to a July 15, 2002 article entitled "CRS Reports" by Stephen Young, in which, at the end of the article, he provides links to various collections of the reports.
Public Legislative Sites
- United States Code
Cornell Legal Information Institute. It is less current that CIS version. See also the pdf version at the House of Representatives.
- House of Representatives Home Page
- Senate Home Page
- Library of Congress
Full-text of proposed and enacted federal legislation, bill status, Congressional Record, committee reports, hearings schedule, congressional directories, legislative process, historical documents, congressional documents and debates 1774-1870.
- GPO Access
- Core Documents of US Democracy
- GAO (General Accounting Office)
- Code of Federal Regulations, Federal Register (Lexis-Nexis CIS) NYU Only
- Code of Federal Regulations (GPO Access)
- Federal Register (Hein Online - pdfs) NYU Only
- Federal Register (GPO Access)
- LSU Libraries Federal Agencies Directory
- Federal Tax Forms (IRS Site)
- State Tax Forms
Case Law Research
- Supreme Court Website. See here the bound volumes of the United States Reports (vols. 502-542).
- Supreme Court Opinions 1992 - 1999
- CQ Supreme Court Collection NYU Only
Blends historical analysis with timely updates and expert commentary of Supreme Court decisions, biographies of Supreme Court justices, Supreme Court institutional history, and the US Constitution.
- Federal Case Law Search NYU Only
- United States Supreme Court - Cornell
1990 to present
- Selected Historic Decisions
- The Oyez Project - US Supreme Court Multimedia Database
Hear Oral Arguments in Selected Supreme Court Cases. Real Audio required.
- Findlaw Cases and Codes
Supreme Court, Courts of Appeals, and District Courts.
- Federal Court Locator
Supreme Court, Courts of Appeals and District Courts.
- US Law Week NYU Only
• Subscribe to email alerts