You must check-out by 10:00 a.m. on your confirmed check-out date as the apartment must be prepared for the arrival of the next resident. Note that to check out all of your belongings must be removed from your apartment/building.
When checking out, please remember to leave your bedroom/apartment clean and vacuumed. If applicable, please arrange with your apartmentmate(s) for the cleaning of the common areas. You will be charged if it is necessary to send housekeepers to clean your bedroom/apartmtent.
There will be a $300.00 late check-out fee assessed to any resident who fails to check out on time.
In order to check out all of your belongings must be removed from the building. Once you check out you are no longer permitted access to the building.
Procedure for Checking Out of Your Apartment
The Office of Residential Life in Hayden Hall and the Office of Facilities Services in D'Agostino Hall are open Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Residents of D'Agostino Hall, and 130 MacDougal Street should check out in the D'Agostino office. Hayden residents should check out in the Hayden office. If you are checking out at a time when the offices are closed, the Door Attendant in the building will process your check-out.
Moving Company Insurance Certificates
NYU requires a certificate of insurance from all moving companies prior to entering our buildings. Certificates must be faxed to Ken Stenstrom, Office of Facilities Services, at (212) 995-3160, 48 hours prior to the move date for approval.
The requirements are:
- New York University should be named as the certificate holder.
- General liability limits must be at least $1,000,000.00 for both general aggregate and each occurrence.
- Automobile liability insurance must have a combined single limit of at least $1,000,000.00.
Hayden and D’Agostino residents must complete a mail forwarding/Registration Card when checking out and must not submit a change-of-address with the U.S. Postal Service.
All residents should change their address to the sender directly (banks, credit card companies, cell phone providers, friends, magazine companies, etc.).
Junk mail (catalogues, etc.) cannot be forwarded.
Please help us help the environment by reducing the amount of paper wasted on junkmail that will be thrown away by following some simple steps.
There is a $100 charge for failure to return your apartment and mail key(s).
We require a thorough cleaning of all kitchen furnishings and bathroom fixtures, mopping, dusting, and vacuuming. To avoid cleaning or damage charges, you must leave the bedrooms in a clean and undamaged condition. The common areas (kitchen and bathroom) must also be clean and neat for the next resident. In a case where one resident leaves and one resident stays, for example, you must collectively decide who cleans the common areas, and the resident who stays must then maintain them until a new resident arrives. If additional cleaning is necessary, a $300 fee will be added to your University account. Apartmentmates need to agree upon common space cleaning chores in the event that one leaves before the other. Charges will be assessed equally to all residents.
Please notify the Office of Facilities Services of any damage to furniture or fixtures in your apartment as a result of an accident, etc.
Carts are available for your use, but please adhere to the following:
- There is a 2 hour time limit which will be strictly enforced so that all residents may utilize the carts (pack your belongings ahead of time).
- You must leave a valid driver’s license, vehicle registration card, or credit card with the Door Attendant in order to use a cart.
- Anyone who fails to return a cart will be subject to a $300 fine assessed to his/her University account.
Vacuum cleaners are available for your use. Please adhere to the following:
- There is a 1/2 hour time limit.
- You must leave a current NYU ID with the Door Attendant in order to use a vacuum.
- Anyone who fails to return a vacuum will be subject to a $150 fine assessed to his/her University account.
We hope that you have enjoyed your summer and wish you good luck in your future endeavors.