Due to the arrival of the summer residents and the need to prepare the apartments for their arrival, the spring license period ends at 12:00 noon on your scheduled spring end date. In order to prepare for the arrival of the academic year residents, current residents are expected to check out as scheduled. We understand the stress of moving and thank you in advance for your understanding.
Note that to check out all of your belongings must be removed from your apartment/building.
There will be a $300.00 late check-out fee assessed to any resident who fails to check out on time.
Green Apple Move-Out
Items may be donated beginning on TBD. We will be again be setting up Donation Stations in the lobby of Mercer Residence (by the Game Room) and in D'Agostino Hall (The Commons). Items to be collected are listed on the "Green Living" section of our Web site.
Reuse & Recycle
Items to be collected for area charities are listed on the "Green Living" section of our Web site.
NYU Green Apple Move Out: One Student's Trash...is Another Student's Treasure
The Department of Residence Services, in an effort to recycle and reuse items that would otherwise be thrown away, also collect the following items for distribution to the academic year residents.
• Desk & Floor Lamps • Televisions • Alarm Clocks/Clocks • Radios/Stereos • Desk Chairs • Irons • Ironing Boards • Mirrors • Brooms/Swiffers • Pots/Pans • Dishes • Microwaves • Cooking Utensils • Silverware • Phones • Wastebaskets
We will again be collecting these items and they should be brought to the Donation Stations in the lobby of Mercer Residence and D'Agostino Hall.
Procedure for Checking Out of Your Apartment
- The Office of Residence Services in Mercer Residence and the Office of Facilities Services in D'Agostino Hall are open Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Residents of D'Agostino Hall, 130 MacDougal Street should check out at the D'Agostino Hall Office. Mercer residents should check out at the Mercer Residence Office.
If you are checking out when the offices are closed, the Door Attendants in the building will process your check-out.
- Mail forwarding: Mercer and D'Agostino residents should complete self adhesive, pre-filled mailing labels and leave them at the Resource Center in their respective building. Do NOT submit a change-of-address with the US Postal Service. Please contact those who send you mail in a timely manner (magazines, credit cards, alumni offices, cell phone companies, banks, etc.) to change your address and reduce the amount of junk mail you receive by following some simple steps as junk mail cannot be forwarded.
- There is a $75 charge for failure to return your apartment and mail key(s).
- We require a thorough cleaning of all kitchen furnishings and bathroom fixtures, mopping, dusting, and vacuuming. If additional cleaning is necessary, a $300 fee will be added to your University account. This will be strictly enforced upon those who do not leave their apartments in acceptable shape for the next resident. This also applies to those who are switching apartments. Apartmentmates need to agree upon common space cleaning chores in the event that one leaves before the other. Charges will be assessed equally to all residents.
- Please notify the Office of Facilities Services of any damage to furniture or fixtures in your apartment as a result of an accident, etc.
- Residents of the low-rise should contact the phone company to discontinue service and request a final bill.
- Compost and recycling bins should be left in the apartment.
Moving Company Insurance Certificates
NYU requires a certificate of insurance from all moving companies prior to entering our buildings. Certificates must be faxed to Ken Stenstrom at (212) 995-3160 (Office of Facilities Services, Phone: (212) 998-6508) 48 hours prior to the move date for approval.
The requirements are:
- New York University should be named as the certificate holder.
- General liability limits must be at least $1,000,000.00 for both general aggregate and each occurrence.
- Automobile liability insurance must have a combined single limit of at least $1,000,000.00.
Regrettably, there is no storage space available.
Carts are available for your use, but please adhere to the following:
- There is a 2 hour time limit which will be strictly enforced so that all residents may utilize the carts (pack your belongings ahead of time).
- You must leave a valid driver’s license, vehicle registration card, or credit card with the Door Attendant in order to use a cart.
- Anyone who fails to return a cart will be subject to a $300 fine assessed to his/her University account.
Vacuum cleaners are available for your use. Please adhere to the following:
- There is a half-hour time limit.
- You must leave a current NYU ID with the Door Attendant in order to use a vacuum.
- Anyone who fails to return a vacuum will be subject to a $150 fine assessed to his/her University account.