Spring 2013 Check-Out Procedures
Thank you for staying with us this academic year. We hope that your stay was enjoyable.The academic year license period ends at 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday May 22 (Sunday, May 26 at 10:00 a.m. for graduating students). In order to prepare for the arrival of the summer residents, current residents are expected to check out as scheduled. We understand the stress of moving and thank you in advance for your understanding.
Please note that to check out all of your belongings must be removed from your apartment/building.
New York University is not responsible for any items left behind.
You must be checked out of your apartment no later than 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday, May 22, unless you:
- Are a spring 2013 graduate. Spring 2013 graduates must check-out no later than 10:00 a.m. on Sunday, May 26.
- Have a confirmed Transition Week and Summer 2013 housing assignment for week one of the summer period.
- Have a confirmed extension.
- Have a confirmed Writing Competition Housing Extension assignment
There will be a $300.00 per night charge assessed to any resident who fails to check out on time.
NYU Green Apple Move-Out
Items may be donated from May 6 through May 28. Donation Stations will be set up in the lobby of Mercer Residence (by the Game Room) and in D'Agostino Hall (The Commons). Items to be collected are listed on the "Green Living" section of our Website. Items collected will be donated to the local charities.
Residential Life Trash to Treasure
The Department of Residence Services, in an effort to recycle and reuse items that would otherwise be thrown away, also collect the following items for distribution to the academic year residents.
• Desk & Floor Lamps • Televisions • Alarm Clocks/Clocks • Radios/Stereos • Desk Chairs • Irons • Ironing Boards • Mirrors • Brooms/Swiffers • Pots/Pans • Dishes • Microwaves • Cooking Utensils • Silverware • Phones • Wastebaskets
Donation Stations will be set up in the lobby of Mercer Residence and D'Agostino Hall.
Procedure for Checking Out of Your Apartment
- The Office of Residence Services in Mercer Residence and the Office of Facilities Services in D'Agostino Hall are open Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Residents of D'Agostino Hall, 130 MacDougal Street, and 230 Sullivan Street should check out at the D'Agostino Hall Office. Mercer residents should check out at the Mercer Residence Office. If you are checking out when the offices are closed, the Door Attendant in the building will process your check-out.
- Mail forwarding: Mercer and D'Agostino residents may request to have their domestic US 1st class mail forwarded for 90 days. Please contact those who send you mail in a timely manner (magazines, credit cards, alumni offices, cell phone companies, banks, etc.) to change your address and reduce the amount of junk mail you receive by following some simple steps as junk mail cannot be forwarded.
- There is a $75 charge for failure to return your apartment and mail key(s).
- We require a thorough cleaning of all kitchen furnishings and bathroom fixtures, mopping, dusting, and vacuuming. If additional cleaning is necessary, a $300 fee will be added to your University account. This will be strictly enforced upon those who do not leave their apartments in acceptable shape for the next resident. This also applies to those who are switching apartments. Apartmentmates need to agree upon common space cleaning chores in the event that one leaves before the other. Charges will be assessed equally to all residents.
- Please notify the Office of Facilities Services of any damage to furniture or fixtures in your apartment as a result of an accident, etc.
- Residents of the low-rises should contact the phone company to discontinue service and request a final bill.
- Compost and recycling bins should be left in the apartment.
Moving Company Insurance Certificates
NYU requires a certificate of insurance from all moving companies prior to entering our buildings. Certificates must be faxed to Ken Stenstrom - Office of Facilities Services, Phone: (212) 998-6508
Facsimile: (212) 995-3160 48 hours prior to the move date for approval.
The requirements are:
- New York University should be named as the certificate holder.
- General liability limits must be at least $1,000,000.00 for both general aggregate and each occurrence.
- Automobile liability insurance must have a combined single limit of at least $1,000,000.00.
There is no storage space available.
Carts are available for your use. Please adhere to the following:
- There is a 2 hour time limit which will be strictly enforced so that all residents may utilize the carts (pack your belongings ahead of time).
- You must leave a photo ID with the Door Attendant in order to use a cart.
- Anyone who fails to return a cart will be subject to a $300 fine assessed to his/her University account.
Vacuum cleaners are available for your use. Please adhere to the following:
- There is a 1/2 hour time limit.
- You must leave a current NYU ID with the Door Attendant in order to use a vacuum.
- Anyone who fails to return a vacuum will be subject to a $150 fine assessed to his/her University account.