Welcome to NYU School of Law housing!
Residents may check-in anytime (24 hours a day) after 8:00 a.m. on their confirmed academic year license start date. Please note the following:
- The academic year license period will begin on August 23, 2014 for all but JD1 students.
- The academic year license period for JD1 students will begin on August 20, 2014. All JD1 students are scheduled to arrive on Wednesday, August 20, 2014, and will be charged for JD1 Orientation Housing (August 20 to August 23, 2014).
Residents with a confirmed Early Arrival (An arrival prior to the start of the Academic Year License periods as noted above) may check-in anytime after 9:00 a.m. on the date confirmed, or the time noted on your confirmation.
The Front Desk will have your check-in packet; however please be advised that rolling bins for unloading your car and moving large items (Mercer Residence and D'Agostino Hall) are only usable until 11:00 p.m. due to the excessive noise they create. The Front Desks are open 24 hours a day.
Valid photo ID (license, passport, NYU ID Card, etc.) must be presented when you check-in.
Arriving By Car
Being in the middle of New York City, parking is not provided. Large rolling bins are available to assist with moving your items from the car into the building. We recommend "live" parking in front of the building (someone should always remain with the car) while you unload. There are several parking garages in the area.
D'Agostino Hall residents check-in at D'Agostino Hall (110 West Third Street, corner of MacDougal Street)
Mercer Residence residents check-in at Mercer Residence (240 Mercer Street, corner of West Third Street)
130 MacDougal Street residents check-in at D'Agostino Hall (110 West Third Street, corner of MacDougal Street)
130 MacDougal Street:
Moving Company Insurance Certificates
NYU requires a certificate of insurance from all moving companies prior to entering our buildings. Certificates must be faxed to Ken Stenstrom (Office of Facilities Services, Phone: (212) 998-6508
Facsimile: (212) 995-3160) 48 hours prior to the move date for approval.
The requirements are:
- New York University should be named as the certificate holder.
- General liability limits must be at least $1,000,000.00 for both general aggregate and each occurrence.
- Automobile liability insurance must have a combined single limit of at least $1,000,000.00.
Rooms/Apartments are furnished with the following:
- Bed (See Bed Sizes Below)
- Dresser, (built-in drawers in D'Agostino Hall)
- Desk and Desk Chair
- Dining Table and Chair(s)
- Lounge Chair (Mercer Residence, 130 MacDougal Street and 230 Sullivan Street)
- Shower Curtain
- Carpeting in Bedroom/Tile in Bathroom and Kitchen
- Heating/Air Conditioning (Units in Each Bedroom)
This furniture is not removable due to storage limitations.
Kitchens are equipped with the following:
- Kitchen Sink
- Tile Floors
- Recycling Bin
- Compost Bin (D'Agostino Hall & Mercer Residence)
Microwaves are not provided.
Bathrooms are equipped with the following:
- Medicine Cabinet
- Bathtub with Shower/Shower Curtain
We recommend that you bring the following:
- Desk Lamp
- Floor Lamp: It is recommended that Mercer residents bring a floor lamp as there is no overhead lighting in the bedrooms. Halogen lamps are prohibited.
- Linens (pillows, blankets, sheets, towels, etc.). See bed size information below.
- Kitchen Supplies ( Pots, Pans, Glasses, Plates, Silverware, etc. )
- Garbage Can (Kitchen, Bathroom & Bedroom)
- Alarm Clock
- Phone: The phone line is used by the front desk as the intercom system. It is recommended that you do not bring a cordless phone since it will not function if there is a power failure.
- Clothes Hangers
Halogen lamps are prohibited in NYU School of Law housing.
Do NOT bring the following:
- Hot Plates
- Pets or Animals of Any Kind
- Wall or Cordless Phones
- Electric Heaters
- Halogen Lamps
Bed sizes for linens are as follows:
- 240 Mercer Street type A, D, and E apartments (queen)
- D'Agostino Hall type L1 (full)
- D'Agostino Hall type L2 utilized for family housing (full)
- 130 MacDougal Street type U (full)
- All other locations have extra long 80" x 36" twin mattresses
Telephones are not provided.
Residents of D'Agostino Hall and Mercer Residence use NYU assigned telephone numbers as indicated on the Notification of Assignment. Each bedroom in Mercer Residence and D'Agostino Hall has a telephone connection. Residents should plug a telephone into the NYU telephone line as soon as possible as the telephone line is used as the intercom system to announce guests and deliveries. Further information about NYU telephone services is available on the NYU ITS Telephones & Voicemail website. This service includes unlimited local calls, call waiting, and voice mail upon request. Residents must purchase long distance calling cards.
Residents of 130 MacDougal Street may personally contract with a local provider for phone service.
We recommend providing family, friends and prospective employers with the main University switchboard number, (212) 998-1212, in case of emergencies.
- D'Agostino Hall and Mercer Residence are wired to receive satellite cable television from NYU-TV.
- Residents must provide their own television sets and antenna cable (Rg-6 TV Antenna Cable, 75-ohms, "F" type male connector at both ends) for Connecting Television to NYU Cable Jack
- Each bedroom is wired for cable television.
Residents of 130 MacDougal Street may personally contract with a local provider for Cable TV service.
Computer Hook Up
For all on-line services, residents must register their computer with the School of Law’s Office of Information Technology. ResNet instructions for residents of D’Agostino Hall and Mercer Residence will be included in your check-in packet. Each bedroom has a ResNet connection. "ResNet", offers an uninterrupted high-speed ethernet connection to the Internet in the Mercer and D'Agostino residence halls. To connect to the Residential Network , a 10-Base-T Ethernet Network card and cable must be purchased for the PC or laptop. As noted in our materials, only the licensee (not the family housing resident) is provided with ResNet access.
The WiFi network in D’Agostino and Mercer Residential Halls provides wireless access to each room throughout the entire building, in addition to the in-room ResNet ethernet connections. The network supports the new 802.11n security standard in addition to 802.11a/b/g. For the best performance, ITS recommends that you use 802.11n or 802.11a if your computer supports these transmission protocols.
Contact the Department of Information & Technology Services with any questions you may have.
Residents of 130 MacDougal Street may personally contract with a local provider for internet service.
As a reminder, the University does not provide property insurance. Please make arrangements for insurance if you are not already covered under another policy.
The University has issued a ban on smoking in all undergraduate and graduate residence hall apartments and facilities. Any resident or guest wishing to smoke must exit the building to do so. Smoking is also prohibited on all terraces and balconies.
Living with another person can be both a rewarding and challenging experience. One of the most rewarding aspects is the opportunity to establish relations with people from a variety of backgrounds. Building a positive apartmentmate relationship takes work and requires the same courtesy, consideration, understanding, listening and time that is required for building good friendships. Take a moment to read the information and tips provided. The Office of Residential Life is here to assist you with any conflict you may have with your apartmentmates.