We are excited to have you join our community, and we’ll introduce you to it during the LLM Orientation. Orientation is an introduction to classmates, faculty, Deans, and other members of the law school family. In addition, you'll learn about University and Law School opportunities and resources that will pave the way for a great experience here.
There is a mandatory Check-In Reception on Sunday, August 10, for students attending Introduction to US Law; and the LLM Orientation will take place August 24-16 for the entire LLM class. (Part-time, Executive, Certificate and MSL Tax students are welcome but not required to attend Orientation.)
Review the complete LLM Orientation Schedule. For further information on Orientation events, please scroll down.
NYU ID Card
We strongly urge students to obtain their NYU ID Card prior to the August 10 Check-In and the LLM Orientation. Your NYUCard, is the ID required to access law school and other University buildings, so once you have one, you will find it much easier to get around.
The easiest way to obtain a card is to submit a photo here, and then go pick up your card at the NYU Card Center, located at 7 Washington Place (corner of Mercer Street), Mon-Fri, 8:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m. (hours subject to change). Alternatively you can go to the NYU Card Center directly, where they can take a photo and have your card made while you wait. Visit the NYU Card Center website for more information or call (212) 443-2273, option 1.
Check-In Reception - Sunday, Aug. 10
Students enrolled in Introduction to US Law must attend a Check-In Reception on Sunday, August 10, taking place from 1:00 to 3:30 p.m. in Lipton Hall, D'Agostino building, 108 West 3rd Street (between Sullivan and McDougal). This is an “open house” event - students may arrive at any time between 1:00 and 3:15 p.m.
During the Check-In, staff from the Law School will verify that you have arrived, provide you with important materials, give off-campus students an access sticker, and take your photo. You will also be able to purchase tickets for the Manhattan Harbor cruise and enjoy an ongoing reception with food and beverage.
We estimate the registration process to take approximately 30 minutes, but we hope you will stay for a while in order to mingle with your new classmates!
For detailed information on proceedings at the Check-In Reception, please read below:
- Arrival verification: You will need your NYU ID Card or another form of identification (e.g., passport) in order for the staff to check you in and verify that you have arrived.
- Materials: You will receive a packet with important material including the LLM Handbook, LLM Orientation Schedule, and Student Health Center/Insurance information.
- Access Sticker: Students living off-campus must obtain an access sticker called “SOLL.” Affix the SOLL sticker to your NYUCard for access to Law School buildings. (Students living in NYU residence halls will be given a sticker for their NYUCard when they move into their residences.)
- Photograph: You will have an opportunity to have your photo taken (separate from the NYU ID). This photo is used for the Law School’s online picture book and may be provided to prospective employers (provided you grant permission through the required forms - link available in July). If you have granted permission to provide this photo to employers, please wear appropriate clothing (e.g., business or business casual attire – we do not recommend wearing a cap or a tank top).
- Manhattan Harbor Cruise tickets: OGA hosts an annual LLM Sunset Cruise around Manhattan harbor. The cruise will take place from 6:00-8:30 p.m. on Sunday, September 14. Tickets will be $30 (OGA subsidizes the cost of the ticket). The ride includes a close-up sighting of the Statute of Liberty, food, soda, beer, wine, and a DJ. Past LLM students have deemed the cruise one of the most fun events of their LLM year.
- Reception: The Check-In Reception is ongoing from 1:00 - 3:30 p.m. with food and beverages provided. This is a great opportunity to meet and mingle with your new classmates.
LLM Orientation - August 24-26
The LLM Orientation will take place August 24-26. For the schedule, please click here.
During Orientation, on Sunday, August 24, you are invited to a gathering for LLM and JD students. On Monday, August 25, the Dean, Vice Deans and Faculty will address the class; the Office of Graduate Affairs will give an overview of the Law School, University, and academic opportunities and policies; and the LLM Specializations will meet with their faculty directors and enjoy a reception afterwards. On Tuesday, August 26, representatives from the NYU Law Alumni Association will join students for a hearty breakfast. There will also be opportunities to learn about the NY Bar exam, the JSD program, and more!
Introduction to US Law and Introduction to US Legal Practice
The introductory summer classes will take place from Monday, August 11 through Friday, August 22. You can find a detailed schedule and the syllabus; the syllabus includes information about the early assignment that students need to complete before the first day of classes.
Living in NYC
Many of you may have practical questions about living in New York City. We have prepared some information available in our LLM Handbook, and also available in our Local Resources guide. We hope it helps!