Giuliano Amato, born in 1938, studied law at the University of Pisa, where he graduated in 1960. Master's degree in Comparative Law at the School of Law of Columbia University (N.Y.) in 1962. Full Professor of Comparative Constitutional Law at the University of Rome, School of Political Science, from 1975 to 1997, he had been Full Professor at the Universities of Modena, Perugia, Florence. Presently he is Global Law Professor at the NYU Law School and Visiting Professor at the EUI in Florence. He gives yearly seminars at the Law School of the N.Y Columbia University and is Distinguished Visiting Fellow at the LSE.
Member of Parliament from 1983 to 1994 and, more recently, since May 2001 as Member of the Senate, he was Under Secretary to the Prime Minister's Office from 1983 to 1987, Minister for the Treasury from 1987 to 1989 and from 1999 to 2000, Minister for Constitutional Reforms from 1998 to 1999, Deputy Prime Minister from 1987 to 1988 and Prime Minister from 1992 to 1993 and from 2000 to 2001. He also headed the Italian Antitrust Authority from 1994 to 1997.
Vice-President of the Convention that has drafted the not yet approved Constitution for the European Union, he has also been a member of a task force of the Council for Foreign Relations on the Transatlantic Relation headed by Henry Kissinger and Larry Summers and a member of the World Commission on the Social Dimension of Globalisation at the ILO headed by Tarja Halonen and Benjamin Mkapa.
He has written books and articles on the economy and public institutions, personal liberties, federalism and comparative government. His most recent publications include "Antitrust and the Bounds of Power", Hart Publishing, Oxford 1997, "When the Economy is affected with a Public Interest", in F.Snyder (Ed.), "The Europeanisation of Law", Hart Publishing, Oxford 2000, "The Anticompetitive Impact of Regulations" (co-editor with L.Laudati), Edgar Elgar 2002 and "Tornare al futuro", Laterza 2002.
In 2002 he has been elected Honorary Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- LL.B., University of Pisa
- LL.M., Columbia University
- Minister of Interior (since May 2006). Member of the Senate (since May 2001)
- Member of Parliament from 1983 to 1994; Under Secretary to the Prime Minister's Office from 1983 to 1987
- Minister for the Treasury from 1987 to 1989 and from 1999 to 2000
- Minister for Constitutional Reforms from 1998 to 1999
- Deputy Prime Minister from 1987 to 1988
- Prime Minister from 1992 to 1993 and from 2000 to 2001
- Headed the Italian Antitrust Authority from 1994 to 1997
- "Noi in bilico. Inquietudini e speranze di un cittadino europeo", Roma-Bari, Laterza, 2005
- “Après le Déluge”, in Internationale Politik, n. 3, 2005
- “Privatizzazioni, liberalizzazioni e concorrenza nel sistema produttivo italiano”, in L. Torchia - F. Bassanini (a cura di), Sviluppo o declino. Il ruolo delle istituzioni per la competitività del Paese, Firenze, Passigli, 2005
- “Lettere dall’Europa”, in F. Bindi, Il futuro dell'Europa: storia, funzionamento e retroscena dell'Unione europea: con alcune delle Lettere dall'Europa di Giuliano Amato, Milano, Franco Angeli, 2005
- “Prefazione”, in P.Zocchi, G.Iacono, L'innovazione tradita: la fine dell'illusione tecnocratica della destra e le premesse per un nuovo sviluppo del paese, Roma, Editori Riuniti, 2005
- “L'Europa dal passato al futuro”, in Il Mulino, n. 411 - anno LIII, n. 1, gennaio-febbraio 2004
- “Le politiche industriali dell'Unione europea dal passato al futuro”, in Il Mulino, n. 414 - anno LIII, n. 4, luglio-agosto 2004
- “Costituzione europea: ma a che serve il preambolo?”, in Sant’Anna News, Numero 23, luglio 2004
- “Prefazione”, in J. Ziller, La nuova Costituzione europea, Bologna, Il Mulino, 2004
- “Il contesto istituzionale europeo”, in Le Istituzioni del federalismo, n. 1, 2004
- “Europa en el mundo: de actore regional a actor global”, in M. Castells y N. Serra (eds.), Europa en construcción. Integración, identidades y seguridad, Barcelona, Cidob, 2004
- “Riflessioni conclusive”, in F. Bassanini - G. Tiberi (eds.), La Costituzione europea. Un primo commento, Bologna, Il Mulino, 2004
- “Presentazione”, in G. F. Mancini, Democrazia e costituzionalismo nell'Unione europea, Bologna, Il Mulino, 2004