Exchange Partner Admissions Application

Once students have confirmed that they will participate in an exchange program, they still must file the official admissions application of the institution at which they will study. The application will generate an official letter of acceptance from the institution, which is necessary to obtain a visa.


Passport, Visa and Residence Permit

All students going abroad must have a valid passport and visa to enter the host country. NYU is not responsible for obtaining the student's visa. Obtaining these documents is entirely the student's responsibility and the student should allow at least two months for processing. Please take time to review the appropriate consulate's website so as to be informed of the specific countries’ requirements.


Financial Affidavit

Some countries will require proof that students have sufficient funds to meet their educational needs and cost of living during their stay in abroad. For this purpose students will need to submit a Financial Affidavit.

The following sources of subsistence may acceptable: personal savings, family support or financial aid/scholarships from other institutions. In any of these cases you will need to provide supporting documentation; please check the specific countries’ requirements with the appropriate consulate.


Living Costs

Even though NYU tuition will remain the same, students should to consider the living costs at the host country to accurately plan their participation. Please see each host institution’s page for more information.



Students planning on returning to NYU housing should notify the Office of Residence Services that they will not need NYU housing for the semester of the exchange participation as soon as participation is confirmed. Some of the law school exchange programs have on-campus housing available for exchange students. Other programs do not provide campus housing for exchange students but do have an office or other resources that offer assistance to such students in finding off-campus housing.

Housing can be difficult to find in some instances. Although the host institution can provide limited assistance, it is your responsibility to secure housing. We urge you to talk with returning students and students from the host institution to determine whether you should take special measures in locating suitable housing.


Health and Inoculation

It is the student's responsibility to get any necessary inoculations. For information about inoculations the student should check with the appropriate consulate in New York or the National Centers for Disease Control (US).

Health Insurance
As part of students' overseas program with New York University, students will be enrolled in an Geo Blue health insurance plan, at no additional cost, regardless of whether the students have NYU student health or have alternate health insurance coverage.

Highlights of the program are:

  • 100% coverage for medical and mental health care up to the policy limits, with no deductible
  • Access to English-speaking, western-trained health providers
  • Coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation
  • 24/7 availability of Geo Blue representatives who will assist students with appointment scheduling with in-network providers who will provide treatment with no out-of-pocket expenses.

Before departure, instructions for printing the Geo Blue insurance ID card and explaining how to access care will be distributed in an email under the subject line, ‘NYU Global Important Insurance Information.’



NYU Traveler Registration
It is mandatory for students participating in the NYU Exchange program to register at NYU Traveler before their departure.

NYU Traveler is as a tool to enhance the safety of students, faculty, administrators, and staff traveling. When you register through NYU Traveler, your travel plans are routed through Worldcue, a traveler safety service with which NYU has contracted. Worldcue will automatically alert the individual traveler to dangerous conditions that may have emerged where he or she will be traveling, and will automatically alert the University to emergencies, allowing it to move more rapidly to assist members of the NYU community.

US Department of State Travel Advisories
Students should also be aware of any travel warnings or advisories published by the US State Department. Such information can be found on a country-by-country basis on the following website:

Pre-departure Forms
Students will be required to fill and sign a Conditions and Responsibilities form as well as a Foreign Travel Release and Emergency Contact Information form before their departure.


Helpful Information

Students may find it helpful to register and use NYU GlobeSmart. This online cultural awareness training tool provides quick and easy access to knowledge on how to engage in intercultural communication more effectively with people from around the world. For more information, please visit:


Consulate Web Sites
Argentine Consulate * Australian Consulate * Belgian Consulate * Brazilian Consulate * British Consulate * Chinese Consulate* Danish Consulate * Dutch Consulate * German Consulate * Italian Consulate * Singaporean Consulate

Other related travel links from NYU can be found here.