NYU Law offers a myriad of curricular and co-curricular activities aimed at preparing students to understand how the legal systems of the United States, other countries, and international bodies interact with and are informed by one another.
NYU offers students interested in improving or developing foreign language skills a variety of alternative forms of language instruction, including courses, software, language coaching, and language tables.
NYU Law gives JD students the opportunity to spend a semester immersed in the law and legal culture of another part of the world through an academic program designed and administered by the Law School in cooperation with local partners. The abroad sites are located in Buenos Aires, Paris, and Shanghai.
NYU Law participates in exchange programs with law faculties around the world.
The Hauser Global Law School offers financial support for participation in international moot court competitions.
More than 60 NYU Law students intern abroad every summer in approximately 30 countries. Most of these receive support through the Public Interest Law Center (PILC) Summer Funding Program, which guarantees funding for all first- and second-year students who want to work in public interest and government positions in the US or abroad. The Office of Career Services helps students secure summer private sector opportunities abroad. Counselors in OCS and PILC as well as permanent and visiting faculty work closely with students to connect them with opportunities that fit their individual goals and interests. Special internship programs include:
- Frank J. Guarani Center for Environmental and Land Use Law Fellowship
- International Law and Human Rights Summer Fellowship
- The Hague Conference on Private International Law Summer
The following post-graduate fellowships are available exclusively to NYU Law students:
- Arthur Helton Global Human Rights Fellowship (JDs and LLMs)
- Bernstein Fellowship in International Human Rights in China (JDs and LLMs)
- George A. Katz Fellowship at the Brennan Center for Justice (JDs and LLMs)
- International Court of Justice Clerkship Program (JDs and LLMs)
- International Finance and Development Fellowships (LLMs only)
- International Law and Human Rights Fellowship (LLMs only; JDs eligible during 1L and 2L summers)
- Masiyiwa-Bernstein Fellowship (JDs only)
- NYU School of Law Fellowship at Human Rights Watch (JDs only)