Green Products & NYU Purchasing
NYU Purchasing -Administrators, Faculty, & Staff
NYU Environmental Purchasing Guide
The NYU Environmental Purchasing Guide includes information on:
- Appliances & Electronics
- Books & Commercial Printing
- Buildings & Maintenance
- Food & Catering
- Interior Furnishings
- Janitorial Supplies
- Linens, Upholstery, & Textiles
- Office Supplies
- Professional Services
NYU Asset Management
What You Can Do At Home
Cleaning Your Apartment
- Most cleaning products contain significant amounts of harmful, toxic chemicals.
- Make your own cleaning products by using some simple household items:
- Mix white vinegar and water to clean glass and tile. Scrubbing with baking soda will also do the trick.
- Boils sponges for 5 minutes (either on the stove top or in the microwave) to disinfect them.
Cleaning Your Self
- Purchase environmentally friendly shampoo, soap, and other personal products, and look for biodegradable products in recyclable containers.
- Invest in a quality razor instead of buying disosbles.
Furnishings & Appliances
- Buy Used: Go online and look for free and/or cheap items.
- Buy Local and avoid the long shipping distances. If items must be shipped, request group as opposed to air shipping.
- Buy wood products that have been certified by the Forest Stewardship Council.
- When purchasing appliances, look for the Energy Star ratings.